Trial by Tile
|Trial by Tile|
|Appears in||Mario Party 8|
|Type||Extras Zone minigame|
Trial by Tile is a one- or two-player minigame in the Extras Zone in Mario Party 8. Its name is a pun on the phrase "trial by fire," which is when someone must immediately prove themselves under difficult circumstances. The player can use either the original characters from the Super Mario franchise or the Miis from the Wii console to play this minigame.
The player(s) is/are seen standing on a colored pedestal before they turn to face the screen in the center of the room. The camera then zooms in closer to the screen, and the game begins.
A series of tiles with pictures of Super Mario character faces appears on the smaller screen to the left, and players must find that exact arrangement of tiles on the larger screen to the right, using the Wii Remote as the cursor. There is a total of three levels, and the player must clear each level by successfully finding five exact arrangements. With each new level, more tiles are added to the larger screen on the right, making it slightly harder for the player to find the correct arrangements. The objective is to make it through all three levels in the fastest time possible.
- Wii Remote: Use the Pointer to move the cursor.
- / – Select
- Rules (single player) – "Scan the panels to find a matching arrangement. Find as many matches as you can!"
- Rules (multiplayer) – "You'll receive 1 point for every panel in the arrangement!"
- Hint – "Scan carefully, then select quickly!"
Names in other languages
|French||Chasseur de Têtes||Head Hunter|
|Italian||1000 e una Faccia||A Thousand and One Faces|
Pun on Le mille e una notte (One Thousand and One Nights)
|Korean||같은 그림을 찾아라
Gat-eun Geulim-eul Chaj-ala
|Find the Same Picture|
|Spanish||A cuadros||With Pictures, pun on an expression meaning both "checkered clothes" or "dumbfounded"|
- This is the only minigame in Mario Party 8 where the losing theme and animations are shown if the player does not beat their previous record.