Artwork of Tuxie and her mother from Super Mario 64
|First appearance||Super Mario 64 (1996)|
|Latest appearance||Mario Party Superstars (2021)|
- “Ayiiieee! Please don't eat me. I promise that I don't taste good. Plus, I'll give you cavities.”
- —Tuxie, upon being eaten by Yoshi, Super Mario 64 DS
Baby Penguins are infant penguins who often appear alongside their adult counterparts. In comparison to them, the bodies of Baby Penguins are more stout.
Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS
In Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS, there are two Baby Penguins found on Cool, Cool Mountain. One is found at the top of the mountain and is given the names Tuxie, Li'l Penguin, and just the Baby Penguin. The name "Tuxie" comes from "tux," the shortened form of "tuxedo," which is a type of formal suit that bears a resemblance to a penguin's plumage. She needs to be reunited with her mother. Mario, Luigi, or Wario must pick Tuxie up and carry her down the mountain to her mother, located at its base. Since Yoshi cannot pick up anything with his hands, he cannot do this objective, and eating Tuxie simply makes her ask him not to do so and tell him she is not tasty, after which he spits her out. For finding her baby, the Mother Penguin awards the player character a Power Star. However, if Tuxie is picked up again after being returned, her mother follows the player character sternly until he drops her. The player is able to drop Tuxie off the mountain without angering the Mother Penguin.
The other Baby Penguin is located on the roof of the cabin next to the Mother Penguin. If the player character delivers this lookalike to the mother, she tells him that it looks nothing like her baby (she says elsewhere that her baby has her beak).
The Baby Penguins' stepping sounds are quite loud, and their chirps sound slightly like a car alarm. However, once the player character picks either of the penguins up, it emits a whining cry, which stops only if the player character lets the penguin go or drops it. In Super Mario 64 DS, the incorrect Baby Penguin does not make the crying sound when it is picked up. If Mario performs a dive near either Tuxie or the other Baby Penguin near the Mother Penguin, they both perform a dive as well.
Mario Kart series
Mario Kart 64
Baby Penguins appear around Sherbet Land from Mario Kart 64. They push away and spin any racer that bumps into them. They move across the track from side to side and attack by lying on their bellies and sliding.
Mario Kart Wii
Mario Party series
Mario Party 3
Mario Party 4
Mario Party 5
In Mario Party 5, a group of Baby Penguins and normal penguins appears in the minigame Pushy Penguins as they run across from the right side of the screen and dive into the water to the left. The players must avoid the Baby Penguins and the normal penguins and find gaps between them to avoid being pushed off. Baby Penguins also appear in Later Skater.
Mario Party 6
Mario Party 7
Baby Penguins appear as spectators in various modes throughout Mario Party 7.
Mario Party 8
Baby Penguins appear in Mario Party 8 in the minigame Cardiators as a card; if their card is drawn, either one Baby Penguin or a group of seven Baby Penguins will charge at the opponent, dealing one and seven damage, respectively.
Mario Party: Island Tour
Mario Party: The Top 100
Super Mario Party
Mario Party Superstars
Super Mario 3D All-Stars
- Li'l Penguin is a precious baby who must be protected at all costs. Are you taking proper care of this little pal in #SuperMario3DAllStars?
Mario Party Superstars
- Encyclopedia: The child of penguin that lives in a cold locale. Is a baby.
|Super Mario 64 DS||data/enemy/penguin/penguin_child.bmd||PENGUIN_BABY||Penguin Child/Baby|
Names in other languages
|French||Petit Pingouin||Little Penguin|
|Italian||Baby Pinguotto||Baby Penguin|
|Portuguese (NOA)||Pinguinzinho||Little Penguin|
|Portuguese (NOE)||Pinguim Bebé||Baby Penguin|
|Romanian||Pui de pinguin||Baby penguin|
- M. Arakawa. Super Mario 64 Player's Guide. Page 38.
- NintendoAmerica (September 21, 2020). Li'l Penguin is a precious baby who must be protected at all costs. Are you taking proper care of this little pal in #SuperMario3DAllStars? 🐧. Twitter. Retrieved September 22, 2020. (Archived Deptember 21, 2020, 18:01:42 UTC via Wayback Machine.)
- (June 10, 1998). Course 4 - Star 2: Li'l Penguin Lost. Nintendo: Super Mario 64 Strategy. Archived June 10, 1998, 06:44:26 UTC via Wayback Machine. Retrieved February 23, 2018.
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, Super Mario 64 section. Page 85.
- LEGO Super Mario set 71402 instructions
- Set de extindere Morsel și aventura lui în zăpadă. lego.com (Romanian). Retrieved January 6, 2023. (Archived January 7, 2023, 00:02:01 UTC via Wayback Machine.)