Fiery Dino Piranha
- This article is about the boss in Melty Molten Galaxy. For the mission of the same name, see Fiery Dino Piranha (mission).
|Fiery Dino Piranha|
|Species||Fire Piranha Plant/Dino Piranha|
|Galaxy||Melty Molten Galaxy|
Boss Blitz Galaxy
|Mission(s)||Fiery Dino Piranha|
Throwback Throwdown Speed Run
|Star given||SMG: |
Fiery Dino Piranha, sometimes written as "the Fiery Dino Piranha" and alternatively known as Dino Piranha (Black), is a boss fought in Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Fiery Dino Piranha is similar in appearance to the original Dino Piranha. Unlike Dino Piranha's green/purple theme, however, Fiery Dino Piranha has a red/black color theme. It has a dark red body and a head that is black with dark red spots. Its petals are also similar to those of Dino Piranha, but appear more singed. Fiery Dino Piranha's tail occasionally catches on fire during the fight, leaving a fiery trail in its path that hurts the player if touched. Also, later in the fight, Fiery Dino Piranha can shoot large fireballs at the player. It is also much faster than its normal counterpart, making it harder for Mario to reach its tail to attack. The Fiery Dino Piranha fight shares its battle theme with the Dino Piranha and Tarantox fights.
The fiery version of Gobblegut from Super Mario Galaxy 2 is similar to Fiery Dino Piranha, as both are fiery versions of earlier bosses. The Japanese Encyclopedia Super Mario Bros. also treats the dark-colored King Kaliente in the same way.
Super Mario Galaxy
In Super Mario Galaxy, Mario battles Fiery Dino Piranha in the final level of the Melty Molten Galaxy. The beginning of the battle is much like that of the normal Dino Piranha fight, with Mario landing on top of the egg, cracking the egg and waking Fiery Dino Piranha. As Fiery Dino Piranha trots around, the bulb of the tail ignites and extinguishes in a steady rhythm, forcing Mario to wait until the tail is extinguished to attack and break the egg away.
Once it emerges from the egg, it spots Mario and chases him, similar to Dino Piranha. However, the bulb's fire still flickers on and off, still forcing Mario to wait until the tail is not on fire before striking.
After the first strike, Fiery Dino Piranha stomps in anger, and it continues chasing Mario, leaving a trail of fire behind its footsteps. After the second strike, it begins shooting fireballs out of its mouth, making it harder to maneuver around the planet to reach its tail, and the bulb's fire also flickers on and off in a faster pace. After Mario hits the tail a final time, it is defeated.
Super Mario Galaxy 2
|Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
|ObjectData/DinoPackun2.arc||DinoPackun2||Dino Piranha 2|
Names in other languages
Dino Pakkun (kuro)
Dino Piranha (black)
Kǒnglóng Tūnshí Huā
|French||Pyro Dino Piranha||Pyro Dino Piranha|
|Italian||Focoso Dino Piranha||Fiery Dino Piranha|
|Spanish (NOA)||Planta Dinopiraña del Magma||Dinopiranha Plant of Magma|
|Spanish (NOE)||Planta Dinopiraña en Magma||Dinopiranha Plant in Magma|
- In Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games, the original Dino Piranha gains the ability to breath fireballs like Fiery Dino Piranha.
- Super Mario Galaxy Prima guide, page 262
- Super Mario Galaxy Prima guide, page 289
- English Super Mario Galaxy entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 12, 2022 23:39:09 UTC via archive.today.)
- English Super Mario Galaxy 2 entry on the official Mario Portal. nintendo.co.jp. Retrieved August 13, 2022. (Archived August 12, 2022, 23:39:46 UTC via archive.today.)
- Shogakukan. 2015. Super Mario Bros. Hyakka: Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook, pages 127 and 160.