- This article is about the item that appears in the Paper Mario series. For the item from Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2, see Life Mushroom.
- “I've been ailing a bit lately. I'd like to get a Life Shroom, you know, to have on hand just in case of an emergency.”
- —Koopa Koot, Paper Mario
A Life Shroom is an item found in the Paper Mario series. Whenever Mario (or his partner in The Thousand-Year Door) is defeated in battle, the Life Shroom will revive the character and return ten HP to them. If both Mario and his partner lose all of their HP at the same time, both will be revived to ten HP, but only one Life Shroom will be used.
In Paper Mario, Life Shrooms can be found throughout the world, purchased, and cooked by Tayce T. In addition to their primary usage, they serve as an ingredient in several recipes and can be given to Koopa Koot in exchange for 1 coin and the Gold Credit. They can be obtained in the following locations:
- Peach's Castle library (unobtainable until Chapter 8)
- Dry Dry Desert (hidden block)
- Igor's shop in Boo's Mansion
- Star Haven (two ? Blocks)
- Star Haven's Shop
- Rip Cheato (second purchase)
- Dropped by Mushroom-patterned Li'l Oinks
- Cooked by Tayce T. (see below)
In Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, the item can be bought for forty coins at the Twilight Shop in Twilight Town and for fifty coins at Westside Goods in Rogueport. One can be found in Hooktail Castle, Twilight Trail and the Palace of Shadow. At shops within the game, they are given away as a shopping prize when the player reaches one-hundred and fifty points. Life Shrooms are also found in ? Blocks later in the game. Life Shrooms can also be carried by an enemy in battle. When the enemy is defeated, the Life Shroom revives the enemy just as it would Mario or his partner; however, it then has a high chance of being dropped after the battle is over. Ms. Mowz can also use Kiss Thief to steal the item in battle. In this game, it is not possible to save this item just for Mario's use; partners automatically use it if their life is depleted, no matter what. The Puni Elder also demands one of these as an emergency ration in the Trouble Center.
Names in other languages
|Italian||Fungo SOS||SOS Mushroom|
|Spanish (NOE)||Seta Vital (Paper Mario and Thousand-Year Door)
Champiñón Vital (Super Paper Mario)
- In the code for Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, there is an item that looks similar to the Life Shroom named Dummy. If used while inside Bowser, Mario or Luigi will throw it into the air, where it explodes and restores 60 HP to Bowser. This item was most likely scrapped from the game because only the Stone Blooper can damage Bowser while in his body. It can only be obtained by hacking.
- The Official Nintendo Player's Guide for Paper Mario states on page 124 that a Life Shroom can be made by cooking a Mushroom with a Goomnut, Koopa Leaf, or Strange Leaf, which is only true for the Japanese version of the game.