|Species||Pure Heart (originally)|
|First appearance||Super Paper Mario (2007)|
- “I am sorry...that thou art so hairy.”
- —Luvbi, Super Paper Mario
Luvbi is a Nimbi in Super Paper Mario. Her name is a combination of the words "love" and "Nimbi".
Luvbi is believed to be the daughter of Queen Jaydes and Grambi, but is actually a Pure Heart-turned-Nimbi. Following the defeat of Bonechill, Luvbi assumes her true form in order to save all worlds. After all worlds are saved, Luvbi is recreated as a true Nimbi girl independent of the white Pure Heart.
Prior to the events of the game, Luvbi was originally a Pure Heart that was guarded by Queen Jaydes and Grambi. They later transformed her from the Pure Heart into a living form to protect it, as "no one would suspect" a Nimbi to be a Pure Heart. Over time, they grew to love Luvbi and felt as if she was their real daughter, with Grambi never leaving Luvbi's bedside after she fell ill once. At times, Luvbi became annoyed at Jaydes and Grambi for their overprotective nature.
Super Paper Mario
When Luvbi is first encountered, she is seen on top of a pipe in The Underwhere, fantasizing about the day she will find her true love. Her moment is ruined by Mario, however, who comes along and spots her, and she demands that he leave. Later, when Mario encounters Jaydes, she receives word that Luvbi is missing, and has Mario find her. After finding Luigi, Mario asks him to help find Luvbi, which Luigi eagerly accepts. When encountering Luigi, Luvbi is annoyed by his presence, but asks him if he is the "prince for whom [she] pine[s]" and attempts to confirm this by asking him what her name is. If the player guesses correctly, then she is shocked that Luigi knows her name, but is not convinced that he is her true love. She then heads back to Jaydes,
Later, due to Bonechill having escaped his prison, Jaydes has Mario and Luigi escort Luvbi back to The Overthere for her. The entire time they are on the Underwhere Road, Luvbi acts as a guide for them; for the rest of the journey, she follows them. On the way, they encounter Bowser, having been locked behind a door by Jaydes' D-Men. After recovering Bowser and climbing most of the Overthere Stair, they find Peach, who is sleeping because of the Golden Apple she ate. Luvbi states that the Golden Apple causes a person to sleep so deeply that they do not wake up for centuries. She initially says that there is no way to reverse the effects, but then remembers the way to reverse it: a taboo fruit that her father once spoke of. However, she has no idea where the fruit is and is mad at Peach for committing such an act of ignorance, so the heroes look by themselves.
After trying many fruits, they give Peach the taboo fruit, which wakes her up instantly. After learning the situation and meeting Luvbi, Peach rejoins the party, and helps them reach The Overthere. In The Overthere, Luvbi is informed by Whibbi that Grambi is being attacked in his palace. Concerned, Luvbi assists Mario and the other heroes in finding Rebbi, Blubi, and Yebbi to gain their orbs and rebuild the bridge leading to the king's shrine. Once inside the shrine, they immediately encounter an injured Grambi. They then set their sights on Bonechill. Luvbi threatens that he will not claim the Pure Heart, but Bonechill replies by telling Luvbi that she is the Pure Heart. Luvbi is in disbelief at first, but before she can ask her father if what he said is fact, she is forced to move Grambi to safety as the heroes engage Bonechill.
After defeating Bonechill, Luvbi and Grambi re-enter the room, though Jaydes interrupts Luvbi from receiving the answer to her question. Luvbi then asks if what Bonechill informed her of is true. Jaydes confirms what was stated to be true, and both explain to Luvbi about her being a form of defense for the Pure Heart. Luvbi is at first shocked about this, but begins to remember her time as a Pure Heart as her true form struggles to emerge due to the presence of the Heroes deserving of it. Luvbi rages at her "parents" about keeping her being a Pure Heart a secret the entire time she existed, and the three engage in an argument about all the times they have lied and kept secrets until Jaydes and Grambi ultimately tell her that they did love her as a daughter. Luvbi's temper dies down when she hears this, and she gives her parents a sincere goodbye as she permanently changes into her Pure Heart form, her last wish being for Mario and the heroes to save all worlds.
Even though she changes into the Pure Heart at the end of Chapter 7, Luvbi can be seen standing next to her parents in Grambi's shrine if the player chooses to return to The Overthere after saving all worlds, apparently recreated as a true Nimbi girl independent of the white Pure Heart (which can still be seen in its Flopside Heart Pillar) when the worlds are rebuilt at the end of the main story. When spoken to, she herself states she does not know how she exists as a Nimbi again.
Personality and traits
Luvbi speaks in Early Modern English (as do all Nimbis), although in the Japanese version, she talks very childishly instead of formally. Although Luvbi has a tendency to put others down, namely Mario, Princess Peach, Luigi, and Tippi, she is nevertheless good-natured and cares deeply for her parents.
Card type: Uncommon
Card description: This spunky Nimbi was raised by Grambi and Jaydes. She is actually a Pure Heart who saved the world.
- "That's Luvbi... She's an optimistic Nimbi girl... She's being sent to Grambi of The Overthere as requested by Jaydes... For some reason, this girl flusters me..." (Chapter 7)
- "That's Luvbi... A Nimbi girl, she is the daughter of Grambi and Jaydes... What? You're asking if she was actually a Pure Heart? Forget about such details... Look at that smiling face..." (Post-game)
- Main article: List of Super Paper Mario quotes § Luvbi
- "Pray, what call hast thou to stare at me so?! Didst thou hear me pine for an old, mustachioed fatty?! Begone!"
- "Foulness! An aging man of mustache grim returneth! Talk not to me as though we have met! Speak now! What dost thou want of me?!"
- "Thou came hither to find me? Pah! As if I would consort with a face so behaired! I await a handsome prince! Understand? PRINCES ONLY!"
- "I am sorry... that thou art so hairy."
- "Ah me, blue skies again! If we continue upward, we'll soon be in The Overthere. Let us away!"
- "Pray, I would understand this! Is yon Peach the lady friend of Mario?"
- "Oh, verily? But the damsel looms large in his regard, is this not so? A one-sided crush then, mayhap."
- "Ah me, enough idle blather! I shall fly ahead, so keepest up if thou canst! If thou climbest too slowly, the sun will set, so shaketh a leg!"
- "Ah me... Prithee, tell me... Princess Peach, I presume? She hath eaten the golden fruit. She lacketh common sense, I fear."
- "The Overthere teemeth with magical trees whose fruit maketh many an odd effect. The fruit of golden hue maketh people so satisfied, they falleth into deep sleep. And I mean DEEP sleep... The kind thou dost not wake up from for a hundred years..."
- "Pray, wherefore would I know of such... Ah, but hold on a moment... I do remember my father's words of long ago. Yea, he said one tree in The Overthere bore a taboo fruit that could waketh anyone..."
- "Pray... Wherefore should I know, huh?"
- "So, yon Princess Peach... All seem to holdeth her in regard most high..."
- "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmph! Do what thou wantest! I am NOT helping! I am SULKING!"
- "I shall head onward, so dawdleth not! Heareth me, Princess of silly peaches?"
- "So, uh... Ha ha... Thou sayest I am meant to be with him... He verily is...my prince? This doth STINK! He is completely wrong for me! I speak seriously to you... This hath no humor to it!"
- "Tippi... Takest good care of the real me. And...savest the world, yea? Such is my final wish, so if thou dost not do it, thou art most unkind!"
- "Father... Mother... Fare thee well... I am sorry for lying earlier. Because in truth... I... I love thee...both........."
- "Greetings! How art thou? Ha ha HA! Thou hast a very confused look on thy countenance! Thou art wondering how I returned to life? We-ell... That is a secret! Ha ha HA! Just kidding! Truth be told, I know not! But who careth! I am back! Mother and Father hath been all OVER me since my return. They are so clingy! I guess it is my fault for being soooooo cute! Well, thou should come play whenever! Mother, Father, and I are always hither!"
Names in other languages
|From "love" and「エルエル人」(Erueru Jin, Nimbi)|
|French||Fibi||Combination of "fille" (girl) and "Nimbi"; also sounds phonetically identical to the female given name "Phoebe"|
|German||Liebidi||Pun on "liebe" (love), "Nimbi", and "dich" (you)|
|Italian||Farfabì||Combination of "farfalla" (butterfly) and "Nimbì"|
|Spanish||Sensibí||Pun on "sensibilidad" (sensitivity) and "Nimbí"|
- Luvbi plays a role similar to that of TEC-XX from the previous game, in that both of them perform a sacrifice to aid Mario and his friends at the end of Chapter 7, only to be inexplicably revived following the defeat of the final boss.