|First appearance||Super Paper Mario (2007)|
Barry is an optional Pixl in Super Paper Mario, and one of the twelve original Pixls created by the Ancients. His name is a real name, but used as a pun on his special ability: creating barriers. His ability to deflect and counter attacks is derived from the Superguard ability from Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door; additionally, the character that uses Barry will spin in a similar fashion.
Mario and Peach first meet Barry after Francis kidnaps Tippi. He reveals three tips on how to reach Fort Francis. Later, after Tippi is rescued and the player goes through the level again, Barry joins the party because he has nothing else to do. He can surround the main character with a strong barrier that can do damage to their enemies and deflect enemy projectile attacks back at the enemy (though it appears for only a few seconds). Barry does not realize that Mario was the great hero until he comes back to see him after defeating Francis - a fact that makes Barry ashamed, according to his Tattle. He is the only Pixl who does not recognize Mario as the hero right from the start.
Barry appears in volume 37 of the Super Mario-Kun manga, where, as in the game, he informs Mario that Francis has kidnapped Tippi.
- Card Type: Rare
- Card Description: This impenetrable Pixl repels enemy attacks. He waited in a bush for the hero to arrive.
Names in other languages
|Elongation of「バリヤー」(bariyā, barrier)|
|French||Picou||From "picot" (spike)|
|German||Piekso||Masculine form of "pieksen" (to sting)|
|Italian||Protezio||Pun on "protezione" (protection) and the Italian name "Ezio"|
|Literally means "keeper"|
|Spanish||Barreiro||From "barrera" (barrier) with a Portuguese feel. In fact, he sometimes says Portuguese words and talks like a Brazilian|
- When Barry joins, he says "Like it or not." The same thing happens in Paper Mario when Lady Bow joins.
- All of the tips Barry gives the heroes in Chapter 3-1 involve the color red.
- The first tip is about blowing up a red X at the old castle.
- The second is about attacking Big Blooper's red tentacle.
- The last tip is about riding red wind.