|Applies to||Baby Mario|
|Item needed||Super Star|
|Power(s) given||Super speed, invincibility, and the ability to run up walls and float|
|First appearance||Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (1995)|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (as a spirit) (2018)|
Superstar Mario (also known as Powerful Mario, Super Baby, Super Mario, Super Baby Mario, Super Mario Baby, or Caped Mario) is the form Baby Mario obtains when he comes in contact with a Super Star in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (and its reissue), Yoshi Touch & Go, and Yoshi's Island DS. Baby Mario gets a Super Cape, and the Yoshi turns into a Giant Egg. After the time runs out, the Yoshi emerges with Baby Mario. Superstar Mario gains speed, enough to dash on walls and ceilings. He can use his cape to float down slowly. Superstar Mario is also invincible against enemies, attacks, and even hazards such as spikes and lava but not bottomless pits. During development, the star item was initially conceptualized to turn Baby Mario into the mustachioed adult Mario, but it was pointed out this concept would seem strange. Shigeru Miyamoto joked he still prefers this early idea to the final version. Sprites related to this concept can be found in development assets.
Powerful Mario appears as Baby Mario's power-up in Super Mario-kun's fourteenth volume, the adaption of Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. It enables Baby Mario to climb up walls and float as it did in the games, but it also gives him super strength. The strength enables him to beat up enemies and even use boulders to hurt Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi when he gets angry.
Superstar Mario appears as a Legend class spirit with a neutral type in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. He is obtained when players level up the Baby Mario spirit to Level 99. His special ability is a First-Strike Immunity, in which the player who uses him gets a brief moment of invincibility if they get the first strike. He also comes with three open slots for support spirits.
| パワフル赤ちゃん - Powerful Infant||File info|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl sticker information
|Name||Image||Artwork from||Effect in The Subspace Emissary|
|Super Baby||Yoshi Touch & Go||Launch Resistance +6|
Names in other languages
Wúdí Mǎlì'ōu Bǎobǎo
Invincibility Baby Mario
Wúdí Mǎlì'ōu Bǎobǎo
|Invincible Baby Mario|
|Dutch||Superster Mario||Superstar Mario|
|French||Mario Costaud||Tough Mario|
|Italian||Mario Superstar||Superstar Mario|
|Superstar Baby Mario|
- Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3 instruction booklet, page 26.
- Yoshi's Island DS instruction booklet, page 20.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate spirit
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island instruction booklet, page 18.
- Yoshi Touch & Go instruction booklet, page 24.
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl sticker
- M. Arakawa. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 11.
- M. Arakawa. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Player's Guide. Page 72.
- Nintendo Power Volume 77, page 16.
- Nintendo Power Volume 77, page 24.
- Playing With Super Power: Nintendo Super NES Classics eGuide, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island Characters Tab.
- Haou Magazine, September 1995 issue interview with Shigeru Miyamoto. (English translation by Blackoak, retrieved March 08, 2016)
- Development:Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island/Sprites#Mario. The Cutting Room Floor. Retrieved October 30, 2021.
- Super Mario: Yossy Island instruction booklet, page 17.