- This article is about the Shy Guy with the knife-shaped pogo stick from Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. For the pogo stick-using Shy Guy from Yoshi's Story, see Shy Guys on Pogo Sticks.
|First appearance||Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (1996)|
|Variant of||Shy Guy|
- “We just built this yesterday, and the foundation's very weak. So...STOP SHAKING THE FLOOR!”
- —Shyster, Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
A Shyster is a small artificially created Shy Guy that hops on a sword-tipped pogo-stick. They appear in Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. Shysters seem to love nothing more than hopping around all day long.
Shysters are soldiers that work for the Smithy Gang. Shysters formed the bulk of Mack's forces during his invasion of Mushroom Kingdom. After Mack conquers the peaceful kingdom, the Shysters are allowed to terrorize the townsfolk as they please.
A Shyster attacks by jumping on top of his opponent with his sword-tipped pogo-stick. Additionally, Shysters have limited proficiency in magic. As such, Shysters can use the weak fire-based attack Drain to shoot a small fireball at opponents. Shysters can be easily defeated with lightning magic. During Mario and Mallow's battle with Mack, the knife monster summoned four Shyster Bodyguards to aid him in the fight.
After Mario's penultimate fight with Smithy, a Shyster, an Aero, and a Drill Bit ask their master to calm down and to stop slamming the floor with his mallet in order to prevent the Factory from falling apart. Their efforts fail as Smithy continues to slam the foundation with his hammer, collapsing the floor and sending his minions flying away.
|Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars enemy|
|HP||30||FP||2||Speed||18||Yoshi Cookie||Honey Syrup|
|Attack||20||Magic attack||18||Location(s)||Mushroom Kingdom, Mushroom Castle||Bonus Flower||HP Max! (20%)|
|Defense||26||Magic defense||10||Weak||None||Items||Honey Syrup (5%)|
|Evade||10%||Magic evade||0%||Strong||None||Morph rate||100%|
|Coins||2||Exp. points||3||Spells||Drain||Sp. attacks||None|
|Psychopath||"Boing, boing, boing."|
Names in other languages
|Pun on「ヘイホー」(Heihō, Shy Guy) and English words "hyper," "hopper," or "helper"|
- Shyster's name, in addition to being a pun on "Shy Guy," is likely derived from the actual term "shyster," which really means "conman."
- The Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Player's Guide placed an image of a Shyper where a Shyster should have been and gives it the name Shyper.
- Pelland, Scott, and Kent Miller. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars Player's Guide. Page 110.