A Banana Fairy in Donkey Kong 64
|First appearance||Donkey Kong 64 (1999)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Barrel Blast (2007)|
- “Oh, I just don't know what to do! There was this huge tremor recently, and it scared my Banana Fairies so much that they panicked and flew away! I'll reward anyone who manages to find them all and bring them back to me.”
- —Banana Fairy Princess, Donkey Kong 64
Banana Fairies are characters from the Donkey Kong franchise. They are small, yellow fairies that live in the Banana Fairy Kingdom under the rule of the Banana Fairy Princess. They first appear in Donkey Kong 64.
Donkey Kong 64
In their debut appearance, the Banana Fairies are scared off when Crocodile Isle crashes into a rock. Once Tiny Kong meets their princess, she and all of the other Kongs are given a special camera and film to help recollect the scattered fairies. When a fairy is taken in a picture, it returns back to Banana Fairy Island, replenishes the Kongs' item supply, and increments the item limit by one, such as Crystal Coconuts. There are twenty Banana Fairies in the game. When the Kongs capture all of them, Tiny can revisit the Banana Fairy Princess, who unlocks a room for her with a Golden Banana with the Rare Ltd. logo on it. Two Banana Fairies appear in every level, except for DK Isles, which has four of them.
Donkey Konga series
In the Donkey Konga series, starting with Donkey Konga 2, a Banana Fairy appears in the Street Performance mode. If the player successfully hits 25 consecutive beats, a Banana Fairy appears and floats around Donkey Kong. This doubles the number of coins that he obtains for each beat that he hits. If the player misses another a beat, the Banana Fairy leaves and its effect wears off. The Banana Fairy reappears in Donkey Konga 3 JP, where it retains its role from the previous title.
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
Banana Fairies reappear in Donkey Kong Barrel Blast. They are items that appear in red balloons, and they fly around the user for a short time. During this time, the fairy will attract bananas to them, making the Banana Fairy a type of banana magnet. They can also attract balloons, but not Golden Bananas. If they are used by a Kong, their effect will last a little longer.
Donkey Kong 64
- Instruction booklet bio from Professor Cranky Kong (page 11): "Who’s this?!? I didn’t see any fairy when I looked around. She... er, must be a secret character or something. Yep, I remember now, a secret character. With bananas. Obviously, I... um, know where she is, but if I told you, it wouldn’t be a challenge to find her, would it? So although I know everything about this... er, secret fairy banana character, I’m not saying anything. Let’s move on shall we?"
- Prima Games guide (page 15): "Mrs. Fairy has a problem. All her Banana Fairies have been frightened away! Can you help? She'll give you the Banana Camera to help capture the errant Fairies. When you find one, take its picture with the Banana Camera Film to catch it. As a reward, each Banana Fairy will restock your inventory and increase the number of Oranges, Crystal Coconuts, and Film Rolls you can carry. Catch enough, and you'll unlock the game's secrets."
Donkey Kong Barrel Blast
- Instruction booklet (page 17): "Allows you to pick up bananas in a wide range. (Boost: The effect will last longer.)"
Names in other languages
|French||Fée Banane||Banana Fairy|
Abra-banana fairy; portmanteau of "abracadabra" and "banana"
|Spanish||Hada Banana||Banana Fairy|
- Donkey Konga 2: Hit Song Parade instruction booklet, page 19.
- Donkey Kong 64 instruction booklet (English-Italian), pag. 29
- Donkey Konga 2 Italian instruction booklet, pag. 15
- Official Donkey Kong 64 website (Guías Nintendo) Section "Otros Personajes"
|Donkey Kong Barrel Blast|
|Playable characters||Kongs||Donkey Kong (Ultra Barrel) • Diddy Kong • Dixie Kong • Lanky Kong • Tiny Kong • Funky Kong • Wrinkly Kong • Cranky Kong|
|Kremlings||Kritter • Kip • Kass • Klump • Kalypso • Kludge • Kopter • King K. Rool|
|Non-playable character||Candy Kong|
|Cups||Topaz Cup||DK Jungle • Salty Sea • Mt. Dynamite|
|Sapphire Cup||Scorching Canyon • DK Jungle Falls • Shimmering Sea • Mammoth Glacier|
|Diamond Cup||Open Ocean • Mt. Dynamite Remix • Parched Palace • Cranky's Temple|
|Platinum Cup||Dynamite Run • DK Jungle Sunset • Alpine Peak • Temple Heights • Cosmic Highway|