- Not to be confused with Glimmer's Galleon.
|Donkey Kong 64 level|
|Entrance requirement||30 Golden Bananas|
|Boss requirement||250 bananas|
|<< List of levels >>|
Gloomy Galleon is the fourth level in Donkey Kong 64. It is a water-based cove area featuring King K. Rool's sunken galleon from earlier Donkey Kong franchise games. The stage has a mild pirate theme with both underwater and cave-like areas. Players have to use Lanky Kong to defeat the area's boss, which is Puftoss. In this level, Lanky Kong can also transform into Enguarde.
Gloomy Galleon is an eerie cove that is full of caverns, which hold many secret treasures and shipwrecks from earlier Donkey Kong games. Outside these caves are water areas towered over by cliffs. There is a lighthouse area that has a switch in order to raise or lower the area's water level. This area also has a floating ship that appears to be owned by K. Rool. There is also a hidden Mermaid Village beneath the waters and many treasure chests.
The other water area is a cove with many sunken objects. This holds the sunken Gangplank Galleon, which is ripped in half and holds secret Golden Bananas. There is also a hidden mechanical fish here and a cove where the player must race the Seal.
Golden Banana locations
|Kong||Banana 1||Banana 2||Banana 3||Banana 4||Blueprint|
|Donkey Kong||Once the massive lighthouse area is opened by DK, he can get into the light house and make his way to a Gorilla-Grab switch. Once done, a Golden Banana will appear for DK to claim.||By the lighthouse's base, DK can Barrel blast from a DK pad and beat it to free a Seal for a Golden Banana.||DK can race the Seal for another Golden Banana by going into a caved alcove by Candy's store. If DK can snag 10 coins and beat the Seal another Golden Banana will appear.||Once DK plays his bongo from Funky's store, he must race into the newly open section of the sunken ship. Once there, he can swim into a Bonus Barrel and play the game for a Golden Banana.||Once a Bananaporter is activated by Diddy on the piles of gold, DK can zip up there and defeat his Kasplat for a Blueprint.|
|Diddy Kong||After Diddy jets onto the K. Rool ship and the lighthouse is in operation, he can slam the Diddy switch and rocket above the lighthouse to his Golden Banana.||On top of the lighthouse, Diddy can play his guitar and race to a giant mechanical fish and swim into its mouth. Once in, Diddy can shoot peanuts at the fast moving propeller area and win a Golden banana all in 100 seconds.||By Funky's store, Diddy can play his guitar and race to an opened alcove in the sunken ship. Once there on time he can go in and collect a golden Banana after a Barrel game.||In the alcove with the piles of gold, Diddy can raise the water level, then spring from his Diddy Pad up to the pile's tip to play a Bonus Game for a Golden Banana.||Diddy's Kasplat is in the alcove across from Snide's Alcove in the lighthouse area. Once beaten, a red blueprint shall be forthcome.|
|Lanky Kong||Once Lanky slams a switch in the beginning cave, he can race to a newly opened alcove in a sunken ship. Once in he can swim to a Golden Banana.||After transforming into Enguarde and hopping through the DK star three times, Lanky can swim into a treasure room. Across from Diddy's treasure pile, Lanky can float (by means of his pad) to the tip and play a Barrel game for a Golden Banana.||Using his trombone near Funky's store, Lanky can swim into the newly opened alcove in the center sunken ship to swim to a Golden Banana.||Underwater near the lighthouse, Lanky can turn into Enguarde and blast through the various boxes to seek a Golden Banana.||Lanky's Kasplat in the beginning dock right of the level entrance near the cannon. The blueprint he holds brings Lanky another Golden Banana from Snide.|
|Tiny Kong||By Lanky's first switch is Tiny's and she can race to the alcove to encounter a Bonus game for the Golden Banana at stake.||Tiny can shrink and swim underwater into the sunken submarine below Funky's store and play the Bonus Barrel game inside. Once done a Golden banana is brought forth.||As with the other Kongs, Tiny can play her sax by Funky's Store and an alcove will open in the center sunken ship. She can swim her way to a Golden Banana.||By the treasure piles, Tiny can shrink into the treasure chest and collect the pearls inside for the Mermaid in the lighthouse area and get a Golden Banana.||Tiny's Kasplat is on the above bunker across Cranky's lab. Once the Kasplat's beaten the Blueprint will appear.|
|Chunky Kong||By Lanky's Kasplat, Chunky can load and shoot the cannon at the moving targets. Once done a Golden Banana will appear.||In the lighthouse area on K. Rool's ship, Chunky can slam into the sea-sick den of the ship. Once there, Chunky can slam the barrels with his face to get a Golden banana. Afterwards, Chunky will turn sea-sick.||Across from Cranky's lab, an entrance to a room of chests can be found. Once the chest puzzle is completed, Chunky can receive a Golden Banana.||In the lighthouse area, Chunky can play his triangle and race to the opened alcove to swim in to play a Barrel game.||Above the instrument pads by Funky's store, Chunky's Kasplat sits with his blueprint in his wake.|
Donkey Kong 64
- Instruction booklet bio from Cranky Kong (page 20): Prepare to get your flea-ridden fur wet as you dive down into the murky depths of the reptilian lagoons. You won't be the only thing down there though, as the gloomy, rotting remains of the King's once proud armada lie waiting to be explored - truly an enlightening experience. Elsewhere, you'll find a hulking structure that's a bit dim and doesn't work. Yes, I know you already know about Chunky, but this is also true of an eerie lighthouse. Let's see if you can get them both working and be of some use.
- Player's Guide (page 61): Deep in a forgotten cove, a darkened lighthouse presides over still waters. Kremlings lurk in shipwrecked galleys, the shattered hulls breached on beaches and wallowing in murky depths. Take a deep breath...
- United Kingdom Nintendo Magazine System vol. 86 (page 14): You've gotta fight your way through King K. Rool's fleet of wrecked ships. Turn into Enguarde by bashing open the animal crate to get the treasures below.
Names in other languages
|French||Galion tout Glauque||Glaucous Galleon|
|German||Aqua Alptraum||Aqua Nightmare|
|Italian||Il Galeone Tetro||The Gloomy Galleon|
|Spanish||Galeón Gafe||Jinxed Galleon|
- Inside the sunken ship, many pictures of Kaptain K. Rool are found. Also in Lanky Kong's shipwreck room, the carpet has the same logo of the Kremling Krew emblem. A book on the desk of this area says "Captain K. Rool's Log Book," ignoring the misspelling in the word "Kaptain."
- Although the bow and midsegment of the Gangplank Galleon are clearly visible, the stern, however, is nowhere to be found. It is possible that the floating and sunken pieces of the shipwreck were once the stern.
- The level's theme is a reworking of what was originally going to be Captain Blackeye's theme in Project Dream, the game that eventually became Banjo-Kazooie. An alternate version closely resembling the version heard in Donkey Kong 64 is titled "High Tides, Swift Sails."
- This is the only level to have Tag Barrels underwater and the Tag Barrel's screen to be overlayed with blue and the music and sound stifled due to being underwater.
- While inside the floating ship in the lighthouse area, one of the themes from Jungle Japes plays, despite the ship being located in Gloomy Galleon.
- One of Chunky's Banana Balloons is glitched in this level. The Balloon is meant to appear above the shipwreck that only Tiny and Lanky can enter and be shot from the nearby #2 Bananaporter; however, a draw distance bug does not load the balloon into the game until Chunky swims to where the shipwreck is, then swims back.
- Donkey Kong 64 Player's Guide, Nintendo, 1999, p. 66 - "THE PIRATE'S HOARD: Transform into Enguarde and leap out of the water and through the star three times to open the way into the pirate's treasure room."
- DK Vine Tumblr post (April 19th, 2016). Retrieved February 17th, 2023.