A Tomato from Donkey Kong 64
|First appearance||Donkey Kong 64 (1999)|
- “Please help me! Those awful tomatoes have eaten all my friends, and I'm the only one left!”
- —Worm, Donkey Kong 64
Many Tomatoes are found in Fungi Forest during the night, at the area near Funky's Store. If the Kong gets near a Tomato, it lunges to attack them. Tomatoes are invulnerable to nearly every attack, even musical instrument attacks, making them the only enemy to not be affected by the attack. Tomatoes can only be defeated by Chunky Kong while he is using his Hunky Chunky form.
When Hunky Chunky approaches the Tomatoes, the Worm tells Chunky that the Tomatoes ate all of its friends. The Worm fears that the Tomatoes will also eat it unless Chunky defeats them. Hunky Chunky can defeat a Tomato by jumping on it, causing it to squish. After Hunky Chunky rescues the Worm from the Tomatoes and relocates it and its house, the Worm rewards him with a Golden Banana.
Names in other languages
- The design and behavior of the Tomatoes are most likely inspired by the tomatoes from the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes franchise.
- Barton, Jeff, Mario De Govia, and Donato Tica. Donkey Kong 64 Prima's Official Strategy Guide. Page 16.
- Bihldorff, Nate, Jason Leung, and Drew Williams. Donkey Kong 64 Player's Guide. Page 82.
- 「ドンキーコング64任天堂公式ガイドブック」 (Donkey Kong 64 Nintendo Kōshiki Guidebook). Page 91.