|Born||April 29, 1968|
|Super Mario-related role(s)||Video Game producer, director and designer|
Yoshiaki Koizumi (in Japanese: 小泉 歓晃; born April 29, 1968) is the director of Super Mario Sunshine, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and Super Mario Galaxy. He also worked on significant contributions to other major Super Mario games, such as Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, and Super Mario 64, but under different roles.
Since 2013, Yoshiaki Koizumi works as a director for 1-UP Studio.
Yoshiaki Koizumi plays an important role during E3 2019's Nintendo Direct presentation, announcing Bowser as the new president of Nintendo's North American branch. Bowser, King of the Koopas, appears onscreen, proud to hear his name. Yoshiaki Kozumi says the Koopa King is the wrong "Bowser", as Doug Bowser walks onscreen, much to the former Bowser's shock and confusion.
Nintendo Power interview
Nintendo Power interviewed Yoshiaki in a special section mainly for Super Mario Galaxy. In the interview, he revealed the following facts about the development of the game:
- Yoshiaki had wanted to always create a boss fight in which the character had to climb up on top of the boss. He tried to create Ganondorf this way in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time but decided the fight would be too difficult. Later, in Super Mario Galaxy, he was able to try this concept again with the boss Megaleg.
- Yoshiaki wanted to create more missions in which Luigi had to be found by Mario, but ran out of time and scrapped them.
- Yoshiaki was the writer of Rosalina's Story in Galaxy. He wrote the story at night, without anybody knowing what he was doing. The following day, he presented the story to Shigeru Miyamoto, who was surprised when Yoshiaki told him nobody knew about it.
- Yoshiaki also states that he would like Rosalina's story to be made into a real children's book.
List of works
- Super Mario Kart - Illustrator
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - C.G. Design
- Super Mario 64 - Assistant Director, 3D Animation
- Super Smash Bros. - Original Game Staff
- Super Mario 128 - Director
- Super Mario Sunshine - Director
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat - Director, Producer
- Super Mario Galaxy - Director, Game Design
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Special Thanks
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Producer
- Donkey Kong Country Returns - Special Thanks
- Super Mario 3D Land - Producer
- Super Mario 3D World - Producer
- NES Remix - Producer
- NES Remix 2 - Producer
- Ultimate NES Remix - General Producer
- Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker - Special Thanks
- Nintendo Switch - General Hardware Producer
- Super Mario Odyssey - Producer
- Luigi's Mansion (Nintendo 3DS) - Special Thanks
- Luigi's Mansion 3 - Special Thanks
- Mario Strikers: Battle League - Special Thanks
- The Super Mario Bros. Movie - Nintendo Creative Executive
Photo of a clay model of Isle Delfino made by Yoshiaki Koizumi for Super Mario Sunshine
Koizumi presenting his keynote "Super Mario Galaxy: The Journey from Garden to Galaxy" at the Montreal International Games Summit (2007)
Koizumi and an assistant demonstrating Co-Star Mode during his keynote at MIGS (2007)
- ^ Corporate outline page on 1-Up Studio's official website
- ^ Iwata, Satoru et al. Iwata Asks: Super Mario Galaxy. Nintendo. Retrieved February 24, 2015