Steve Mayles is a British game artist and animator formerly employed by Rare Ltd., and the brother of Gregg Mayles. He was a character designer and sprite artist for the first two installments of the Donkey Kong Country series, where he created King K. Rool and Dixie Kong, among other characters. He also worked on several other games by Rare, including the Banjo-Kazooie series, for which he designed, modeled, and animated the titular characters. For Donkey Kong 64, he only designed a few characters, such as Mad Jack and Puftoss.
List of credits
- Donkey Kong Country - Characters
- Donkey Kong Land - Sprite Graphics
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest - Characters/Animation
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! - Special Thanks
- Donkey Kong 64 - Support Team
Donkey Kong franchise
Donkey Kong tribute artwork
The following is a gallery of artwork created by Steve Mayles in which he pays homage to the Donkey Kong franchise. Most of the artwork originates from his Twitter profile, WinkySteve.
King K. Rool and Gruntilda on a pile of bananas
Artwork made in celebration of Donkey Kong's 40th anniversary
- Steve Mayles's description on his Twitter account (captured 27 October, 2016)
- Mayles, Steve (June 3, 2019). Tweet by Steve Mayles. Twitter. Retrieved June 4, 2019.
- Kirkhope, Grant (September 30, 2014). Tweet by Grant Kirkhope about Steve Mayles' departure. Twitter. Retrieved November 24, 2015.