|The Origami King enemy|
|Description||That thick shell offers great defense, so aim for its head, limbs, and especially its tail.|
|Item drops||Earth Bibliofold|
|Moves||Sandblast (8 × 3), Earthquake (12), Tremor Tail (12), Rough Landing (8), Mega Earthquake (38), Terrepair (heals 50)|
|Location(s)||Earth Vellumental Temple|
The Earth Vellumental is a Vellumental and the first boss fought in Paper Mario: The Origami King. It is a giant origami turtle with a color scheme that makes it resemble a Koopa Troopa. It resides in the Earth Vellumental Temple within Picnic Road, worshipped as a deity by the Koopa Troopas. Mario and Olivia encounter it after falling down a hole deep inside of the temple. It is based on the Black Tortoise.
The Earth Vellumental's shell is invulnerable to damage; as Jump attacks land there, they are ineffective. Instead, Mario must end up either in front of its legs, head, or tail (its main weak spot) and use a Hammer or Flower attack, dealing damage and causing the hit limb to retract. Attacking in the space between the limbs will do very little damage.
When the Earth Vellumental attacks, if a leg was attacked the previous turn and the head is still exposed, it will use Sandblast. If the head was attacked and a leg is exposed, it will use Earthquake. If neither attack can be used, it will use Tremor Tail.
When battled the first time, Olivia will instruct Mario to hit the boss's front left leg, then its front right leg, before the player can choose their target.
Once the player thinks they are able to finish the Earth Vellumental off, the player can then hit its tail, which deals heavy damage to the boss and makes all of its limbs retract. It then uses Rough Landing and starts charging Mega Earthquake. The player must then use the 1,000-Fold Arms to grab its shell, flip it, and initiate a rush attack by hitting it multiple times. However, if the attack does not defeat the Earth Vellumental, it will use Terrepair. As such, the player must be wary of how much damage they think the rush attack will do and plan to hit the tail accordingly.
After defeating the Earth Vellumental, its Magic Circle appears, along with its Bibliofold. Olivia uses the Bibliofold to learn how to fold into the Vellumental, and uses it to raise the arena ground.
Additionally, in the first phase of his battle, King Olly may transform into the Earth Vellumental during his boss fight. If he does so, he will immediately charge up to use Mega Earthquake the next turn. Additionally, hitting his tail will not make it retract. Instead, Mario must use the Ice Vellumental to freeze him.
- Sandblast: The boss spits dirt three times at Mario, dealing 4-8 damage per hit, depending on how close he is to the Earth Vellumental.
- Earthquake: The boss hits the ground with one of its legs, creating an earthquake on the column of spaces where Mario is, dealing 8-12 damage.
- Tremor Tail: The boss turns around and smashes its tail on Mario, dealing 8-12 damage.
- Rough Landing: The boss jumps and pounds the ground with its shell, dealing 4-8 damage.
- Mega Earthquake: The boss charges for two turns and afterwards jumps high in its shell and hits the ground, creating an earthquake that covers the entire arena and deals 26-36 damage.
- Terrepair: The boss heals itself partially and exposes some of its limbs, returning to its first phase.
Magic Circle locations
With the Biblifold of the Earth Vellumental in hand, Mario is required to use its power for the following actions:
- Lower a mound of dirt holding up Overlook Tower on top of Overlook Mountain.
- Raise the Temple of Shrooms from the ground in Scorching Sandpaper Minor. The Magic Circle appears after lighting the four Toad towers around the desert.
- Raise up the central portion of the Crescent Moon Island, turning it into Full Moon Island. The Magic Circle appears after defeating a Sidestepper fished from the fishing area.
- Lower a mound of dirt holding up the Trial of Power in Diamond Island.1
- Lower a mound of dirt holding up the Earth Vellumental pillar on top of the Sea Tower.1
1 - Used via a rainbow magic circle
Names in other languages
|French||Espli de la Terre||Earth Vellumental|
(Espli is a pun on esprit (spirit) and pli (fold))
|Italian||Cartomagno della terra||Earth Vellumental|
|Legendary creature of Earth|
(Can be 'Legendary' or 'Numinous', 'Divine' depending on translation)
|Spanish||(La) papelemental de tierra||Earth Vellumental|
(papelemental is a combination of papel (paper) and elemental (elemental))