Artwork of Rabbid Mario from Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
|First appearance||Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (2017)|
|Latest appearance||Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (2022)|
|Latest portrayal||David Gasman (English)|
Yasuhiro Mamiya (Japanese)
Rabbid Mario is a Rabbid dressed as Mario, who first appears as one of the eight main heroes in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. He was created when Spawny used the SupaMerge to fuse a Rabbid with a Mario Cap. In Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Rabbid Mario teams up with Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Yoshi, Rabbid Luigi, Rabbid Peach, and Rabbid Yoshi to save the Mushroom Kingdom from Rabbid-fused enemies and Bowser Jr.'s attempted takeover.
Aside from the introductory cutscene detailing his creation, Rabbid Mario is first found frozen in Sherbet Desert. With Toad's help, he is thawed after the battle with Blizzy and Sandy, joining the crew on their adventure.
In-game, he is described as a Brawler with great offense and mobility, but poor defense. His primary weapon is a Boomshot, and his secondary weapon is a Melee, making him effective at close-range combat and area attacks. His "Boom Dash" allows him to create shockwaves when he dashes into a foe, harming anyone (enemy or ally) within the blast radius for a percentage of the damage inflicted on his main target. His special abilities include Bodyguard, a barrier that reduces the damage he takes from movement-based attacks (such as dashes or Team Jumps), and Magnet Dance, which forces enemies within its range to move towards Rabbid Mario. His Magnet dance can also be used with "line-of-sight techniques" as well as other forced movement abilities or weapons that have a high chance of inflicting Burn, Push, or Bounce to force nearby enemies out of hiding and deal extra damage. His Bodyguard ability can also be used with Peach's Protection ability to reduce damage Rabbid Mario takes from both movement-based damage and weapon-based damage. His Boom Dash can also be used in tandem with Mario's M-power to increase damage.
Rabbid Mario again appears in Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope. He now wields a weapon called the Dukes, which are two steel gauntlets that produce shockwaves so that it can even hit enemies behind cover. His technique is Counter Blow, which will trigger if an enemy attacks Rabbid Mario. He is also now voiced by David Gasman and speaks in a stereotypical Italian-Brooklyn accent, even shouting "Mamma mia!" at Rabbid Luigi after he collides into him during the transition to the team's first battle.
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Rabbid Mario was created in the Genius Girl's basement, after she left and the Rabbids invaded. When Spawny put on the Supamerge Headset, he accidentally created Rabbid Peach and a Balloon Rabbid using the headset. More blasts of energy were fired from it, hitting a Rabbid with Mario's cap, creating Rabbid Mario. When the Time Washing Machine malfunctions from a blast, it creates a vortex that vacuums all of the Rabbids into it, and transports them to the Mushroom Kingdom.
When the Rabbids were brought to the Mushroom Kingdom, they were all falling down, including Beep-0, who tried to stop them earlier. Rabbid Mario somehow got frozen in a block of ice, and has presumably fallen to Sherbet Desert. He is not seen again until Mario and his friends reach there.
While exploring the Sherbet Desert, the heroes come across Toad, who is looking for Toadette, which the heroes have talked to when they entered. Toad then asks the heroes to reunite the two, which irritates Beep-0. As a reward for helping them, Toad shows the heroes Rabbid Mario, who is still frozen like he was earlier. After some battles, Toad and Toadette are reunited, and Mario and co. defeat Bowser Jr.'s last second reinforcements, Blizzy and Sandy. After the two are defeated, Rabbid Mario thaws out of his ice block, and meets Mario. He then plays his mandolin to the tune of the main theme of Super Mario Bros, and the two instantly bond. Rabbid Mario then joins the heroes on their adventure.
As the heroes make their way across Spooky Trails and the Lava Pit, they eventually defeat the Megabug, who has possessed Bowser, known as MegaDragonBowser. All of the heroes use their weapons to defeat the separated Megabug and destroy it for good, saving the Mushroom Kingdom.
Back at Peach's Castle, the heroes unveil a statue of Rabbid Peach, and all take a victory selfie.
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Rabbid Mario returns in Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope. At Peach's Castle, Mario and Rabbid Peach must find Rabbid Mario's overalls, which has caused the latter to hide in a bush in shame. After they are returned to him, Rabbid Luigi admits that he hid his overalls. Sparks then fall from the sky, followed by the Darkmess Manta, which attacks and abducts Rabbid Peach, motivating Mario and Beep-0 to save her. The Spark Starburst joins them as well. The Darkmess Manta takes the group to Cursa, but Luigi, Princess Peach, Rabbid Luigi and Rabbid Mario use the WM ARC and rescue them from Cursa just in time.
On the planet Beacon Beach, the heroes meet Edge, who Rabbid Mario instantly develops a crush on, although does not feel the same way for him. Throughout the game, Rabbid Mario tries to impress Edge such as building a giant "snow Rabbid", and also claiming that the two of them "make a great team", which annoys her.
As the heroes travel across the planets, they eventually reach to Cursa's stronghold. Together, they all defeat Cursa and rescue Rosalina. They all they travel back to Peach's Castle, where Rosalina congratulates everyone, including Bowser, who is not satisfied. Rabbid Mario, Rabbid Peach, and Rabbid Luigi then attempt to play with Bowser, which worries Mario. Angry, Bowser breathes a fireball, launching the Rabbids away from him.
Similar to most Rabbids, Rabbid Mario is playful, mischievous, curious, and reckless. He likes mimicking Mario, and tends to show-off his strength. He is fearless, flamboyant, adventurous, and will not back down from a challenge. Rabbid Mario seems to have an ear for music as he plays his mandolin and performs his own version of the Super Mario Bros. theme song. This can also be recognized in his victory animation, which has him strum a small tune that resembles that of losing a life in Super Mario Bros. 3, as well as some of his voice clips used in-game, which reference the 'Lose a Life' and '1-UP' jingles from Super Mario Bros.
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope expands more on Rabbid Mario's personality. He is shown to be more boisterous, and takes great pride in his strength and appearance as seen several times through out the game. Rabbid Mario is also somewhat of a hopeless romantic, as he tries to woo Edge several times and fails. Unlike Mario, he tends to be more underappreciated, but still remains loyal to his comrades.
Relationships with other characters
- Rabbids, Rabbid Peach, Rabbid Yoshi, Rabbid Luigi, and Spawny - Rabbid Mario treats his fellow Rabbids the same, with mischief and compassion. He was shown to be happy to see them at Peach's Castle. During the adventure, he aids his fellow Rabbids in battle.
- Mario - He idolizes Mario and often tries to mimic him, as shown when they first meet after defeating Blizzy and Sandy and he plays a Super Mario Bros. arrangement on his mandolin, which amuses Mario and they befriend each other. Despite this, he still occasionally mocks him, such as when he laughs at him during Phantom's song.
- Yoshi - Like his companions, Rabbid Mario and Yoshi are in good terms, as shown when after defeating the Megabug, Yoshi gives Rabbid Mario a ride on his back when they are about to take Megabug down with the finishing blow.
- Beep-0 - Rabbid Mario treats Beep-0 well, but due to his unpredictable nature, Beep-0 will get frustrated with him and the other Rabbids.
- Edge - After Edge first appears, Rabbid Mario instantly develops a crush on her.
- Rayman - In the teaser trailer for the Rayman DLC for Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, Rabbid Mario, Rabbid Peach and Beep-0 are seen checking into a hotel. While checking in, the group meet Rayman. Rabbid Mario shows politeness towards Rayman by shaking his hand, but faints upon learning that Rayman's arms are not attached to him. In the end of the story, Rabbid Mario hugs Rayman before going back to the Mushroom Kingdom and gives him a gift.
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
"A big league brawler with exceptional luck, a dependable defense, solid moves and massive case of imposter syndrome."
- Figurine description: The figurine shows Rabbid Mario equipped with his gun and ready to plunge into battle with gusto, probably to impress some damsel!
- Key Features:
- CAUTION: very attractive figurine
- Wearing a legendary mustwaaache
- Character Description: Rabbid Mario is a fearless fighter with a strong bragging personality. He likes to think no damsel can resist his undeniable charm… or his big moustache. He never hesitates to plunge into a fight, simply because he really likes it. As the brawler of the team, he benefits from solid moves, dependable defense, and melee skills which are a game changer in any fight.
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
Official website bio
Fearless, intrepid, musician, hotheaded hero
Rabbid Mario is a brave-hearted warrior who refuses to retreat even in the face of the most daunting enemies. In this new quest, he gets another chance to show off his best asset: his amazing mustache.
Rabbid Mario deals massive damage at close range, usually with his gauntlets, the Dukes!
- Weapon: The Dukes
- Range: 9m
- Critical Chance: 5%
- Technique: Counter Blow
- Radius: 21m
- Weapon DMG Usage: 100%
- Duration: 1 turn
- Cooldown: 3 turns
- Charges: x1
- Area of Movement: 13m
- Glide: 3.75 sec
- Dash: x1
- Team Jump: 5m
- Initial stats
- LVL: 1
- XP: 90/100
- HP: 810
- Weapon: 135 - 162
- Critical: 210
- Dash: 50
No analysis to understand Rabbid Mario is given easily to boasting. As strong of a fighter as he is, thanks to his fighting gloves, the Dukes, he needn't bother bragging. Still, he is vulnerable to being attacked from long distances, as even his Technique allows him to counterattack only if an enemy is within range. Each Hero is so different. The psychology at play is fascinating.
- David Gasman (English)
- Yasuhiro Mamiya (Japanese)
- Jérémie Bedrune (French)
- Paolo de Santis (Italian)
- Eduardo Bosch (Spanish)
Rabbid Mario promoting Movember
Artwork based on Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle to celebrate Holiday 2018, from official Twitter account for Rabbids
Key artwork for The Last Spark Hunter
Key artwork for Rayman in the Phantom Show
Names in other languages
|French||Lapin Mario||Rabbit Mario|
|Portuguese (NOA)||Rabbid Mario||-|
- Rabbid Mario frozen in a block of ice and the ice tray with the missing cube are visible in the second opening cutscene where Spawny is created. He can be seen for a brief moment right after Spawny gets hit with a Rabbid riding a paintbrush.
- Shirrako (September 22, 2022). MARIO + RABBIDS SPARKS OF HOPE Gameplay Walkthrough Part 1 - Story Mode (Full Demo) Nintendo Switch. YouTube. Retrieved September 24, 2022.
- GameXplain (June 12, 2023). First Look at RAYMAN in Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope! (Ubisoft Forward). YouTube. Retrieved June 12, 2023.
- Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope - Rabbid Mario Voice Lines (Italian)