Monkey robots, also known as Donkey Kong's robots, refer to various enemy toys in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series. They first appear in Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis and have shown up in all subsequent games in the series. Like Mini Donkey Kongs, they are based on the character Donkey Kong, who appears as the main antagonist in most of the games in the series.
Unlike other enemies, monkey robots do not harm the Minis directly when they come into contact with them. Once they catch the Minis, monkey robots perform a certain action on the toys which can help or hinder them, depending on the context. For example, Circus Kongs juggle the Minis up and down, enabling them to reach higher platforms in some cases, but keeping them in mid-air perpetually if no platforms are present above. Most monkey robots cannot be destroyed, but can instead be stunned and neutralized temporarily by using a form of attack on them. Doing this also releases any Mini currently under their control. Exceptions include Cool Kongs and Kongā, which cannot be harmed in any way, as well as the monkey robot controlling a Cursed Mini Mario, which is permanently destroyed upon being attacked.
A monkey robot controlling a Cursed Mini Mario
Names in other languages
robot Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong robot
|Italian||Le scimmie-robot||The monkey-robots|
|Spanish||Monos mecánicos||Mechanical monkeys|
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis North American instruction booklet, page 6.
- "A Circus Kong is one type of Donkey Kong’s robots." — Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! instruction booklet, page 18.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: La Marcha des Minis instruction booklet, page 6.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! instruction booklet, page 58.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: Marsch der Mini-Marios instruction booklet, page 6.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: La Marcia dei Minimario instruction booklet, page 6.
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: La Marcha de los Minis instruction booklet, page 6.