Cairo (Arabic: القاهرة, Al-Qāhira; Egyptian Coptic: ϯⲕⲉϣⲣⲱⲙⲓ) is the capital city of Egypt and the largest city in Africa. Luigi had to visit it in the game Mario is Missing!. In the PC and NES versions, it was in the second-to-last level sets, while in the SNES version, it was in the final set.
As with all the other cities in the game, Cairo was invaded by Koopa Troopas sent by Bowser. The Troopas stole artifacts from various landmarks of the city: Top Brick of the Great Pyramid, a Gingerbread Clock from the Mosque of Mohammed Ali, the Klaft of the Sphinx, and (in the PC version only) King Tut's Mask from the Tomb of King Tutankhamen. Luigi's task is to find all the artifacts and return them to their respective landmarks.
Information from Mario is Missing!
- "You're in 1,025,000 square kilometers of desert! But don't desert us yet."
- "It's the largest city in Africa. Care to hear the riddle of the sphinx?"
- "From Saudi Arabia we entered Egypt by the southeast border. Dancing camels were our trusty porters."
- "I saw a sign near the Sinai that read welcome to Masr. It was written in Arabic."
- Business Woman:
- "Cairo sits on the split of the Nile. From here the river goes south for 1500 kilometers."
- "You're between two continents that begin and end with the letter a."
- "Inventors of mummies, papyrus and heiro--your mommy would love a postcard from here in Cairo!"
- Police Officer:
- "You're in Ramses Square, Cairo, Egypt, Africa!"