Monument to the People's Heroes
|Monument to the People's Heroes
|Mario is Missing! (1992)
The Monument to the People's Heroes (Chinese: 人民英雄纪念碑; Pinyin: Rénmín Yīngxióng Jìniànbēi), also formatted Monument to the Peoples' Heroes, is an item in the DOS and Deluxe versions of Mario is Missing!. It is the obelisk that stands in the southern section of Tian An Men Square (and not, as its image depicts, the sculpture that stands in front of the Mausoleum of Mao Zedong). The entire structure is stolen by Koopa Troopas when a bunch of them infiltrate Beijing and steal from various other landmarks. After Luigi takes back the monument from a wandering Koopa Troopa, he then shows it to random people on the street to learn where it belongs. Everyone that he speaks to recognizes it and provides some facts about it, such as how its base contains Mao Zedong's writing. After gathering enough information, Luigi eventually returns the monument to the Tian An Men Square's information booth and receives $2100 for doing so.
- Boy: "I like to hang around the monument you have there. It's in the world's biggest public square."
- Tourist: "That's a monument to China's Heroes. Be a hero and put it back in Tian An Men square."
- Business Woman: "That is Mao Zedong's writing on the Monument's base. Tian An Men Square is its proper place."
- Scientist: "The Square was expanded in 1949. That obelisk is the Monument to the People's Heroes."
- Police Officer: "You found the Heroes Monument! Tian An Men Square looks awfully bare without that thing there."