|First appearance||Mario is Missing! (1992)|
Michelangelo's Paintbrush is an item in the PC version of Mario is Missing!. It is the paintbrush used by Michelangelo Buonarroti to paint the Sistine Chapel ceiling (and apparently the only one that he used, according to various people). Its sprite also depicts it with a palette, although it is not referenced by anyone. When Bowser sends Koopa Troopas to storm Rome, the paintbrush gets stolen from the Sistine Chapel, but it later gets taken by Luigi from a Koopa Troopa after he enters the city. He then shows it to Rome's people, and after gathering enough information to determine the paintbrush's owner, he delivers it to the Sistine Chapel's information booth.
- Boy: "The artist stood on a scaffold for over 4 years. Mom won't let me draw on the walls for even five minutes."
- Tourist: "My guidebook says that’s Michelangelo's paintbrush!"
- Business Woman: "Michelangelo was up for painting ceilings! That's his paintbrush."
- Scientist: "That paintbrush belongs in the Sistine Chapel. Sistine means 'six' in Latin."
- Police Officer: "The Pope went through the roof when that turned up missing! The Vatican isn't the same without it."