Rio de Janeiro
|Rio de Janeiro|
|First appearance||Mario is Missing! (1992)|
|Latest appearance||Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (2016)|
|Inhabitants||Humans, Animals, etc.|
Rio de Janeiro (Portuguese for "January River") is the second largest city of Brazil, located in South America. Along with New York City, Tokyo, Cairo and London, it is one of the cities Luigi has to visit in Mario is Missing!.
As with all the other cities appearing in the game, Rio de Janeiro was invaded by Koopa Troopas. The enemies were sent by Bowser to steal artifacts from the cities' landmarks. In Rio, the Troopas stole from the Christ the Redeemer Statue, the Copacabana Beach, and the Sugar Loaf Mountain. Luigi's task was to rescue the city by finding and returning all the missing artifacts.
Rio is also the general setting for Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, since the city hosted the 2016 Summer Olympics.
Information from Mario is Missing!
- "To the south is Argentina, to your left is Peru. I'd brush up on my Portuguese if I were you."
- "'Rio' means river and 'de' means of. I wonder what Janeiro means?"
- "Its capital is Brasilia but you're not there. This place is more of a carnival, from all I hear."
- "It's the land of samba and mamba, the soul music of Brasilia."
- Business Woman:
- "I hope you brought your swimsuit, this city lies on Brazil's famous coastline."
- "Rio is right-o above the Tropic of Cancer."
- "It covers nearly one-half of South America. It's the fifth largest country in the world!"
- "Brazil was discovered by the Portuguese in 1500. You thought they spoke Spanish, didn't you?"
- Police Military:
- "You finally made it to Rio de Janeiro. The South American tropics of Brazil."
- The information from Mario is Missing! that the city is above the Tropic of Cancer is mistaken; Rio is above the Tropic of Capricorn.