A group of Snowmads, consisting of two Pointy Tucks and a Fish Poker Pops
|First appearance||Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014)|
|Latest appearance||Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Nintendo Switch) (2018)|
- “These Snowmads are a real downer... And right in the middle of surfing season, too.”
- —Funky Kong, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
The Snowmads are the main antagonists of Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and its Nintendo Switch port. They are an organization of arctic and antarctic animals based on the stereotypical Vikings; hence, they are sometimes simply referred to as such. The Snowmads are led by Lord Fredrik, a large Waldough with glowing blue eyes. The name "Snowmad" is a portmanteau of snow and nomad, as well as being a pun on "snowman". Snowmads are said to be "hailing from the North Sea", and are identifiable by their emblem, a snowflake, which is shown on their longships' sail rigs, flags, buckles, collars, streamers, suspenders, some Viking helmets, tents and Fredrik's throne.
The Snowmads set the events of the game in motion when Lord Fredrik, using an enchanted horn, summons an ice dragon. The creature proceeds to blow the Kongs (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, Cranky Kong, and Funky Kong) away from the island, allowing Lord Fredrik's command ship to station itself on top of the island's Volcano. The Snowmads then seize the island and throw it into a state of perpetual winter, forcing the Kongs to take it back from them.
Throughout the course of the game, their main base is Donkey Kong Island, though, they have invaded every island that the Kongs arrive on. When the Kongs finally make it back home, they make their way to the Volcano, where the command ship is stationed. When they reach Lord Fredrik's quarters, they confront him and a final showdown for the fate of the island ensues. When Fredrik is defeated, he is blasted out of the Volcano, destroying his command ship in the process, and crashes into the sea where the remainder of the Snowmads' ships are stationed, ending their reign over the island.
Snowmads are found on every island that the Kongs go to; with each one controlled by a high-ranked member, whereas Donkey Kong Island is commanded by Lord Fredrik himself. They also appear to have great access to technology, as they are seen with mechs and cranes in certain levels.
- Pompy, the Presumptuous (Lost Mangroves)
- Skowl, the Startling (Autumn Heights)
- Ba-Boom, the Boisterous (Bright Savannah)
- Fugu, the Frightening (Sea Breeze Cove)
- Bashmaster, the Unbreakable (Juicy Jungle)
- Lord Fredrik, the Snowmad King (leader, commands Donkey Kong Island)
- Ice dragon
Lord Fredrik's command ship
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
- Digital manual bio: "Hailing from the northern seas, these foes have frozen Donkey Kong Island and seek to claim it as their own."
- Prima Games guide (page 15): "The Snowmads hail from the northern lands and have encased Donkey Kong’s island in snow and ice. They seek to claim this land for their own."
- Nintendo Switch UK website: "The invading Snowmads have turfed the Kongs out of their beloved Donkey Kong Island and cast it into a deep freeze!"
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U trophy
| Snowmads Theme - The theme that plays in Homecoming Hijinxs, Cliffside Slide and Meltdown Mayhem||File info|
| Freezie Breezie - The theme that plays in Forest Folly and Icicle Arsenal||File info|
Names in other languages
|French (NOA)||Frigoths||A portmanteau of "frigo" (fridge) and "Goths" (an East Germanic people)|
|French (NOE)||Givrés||Literally "the Frosted", and "les Givrés" is an informal synonym for "the insanes"|
|German||(Den) Viehkingern aus dem Eismeer
(Die) Viehkinger aus dem Eismeer
|The Beastkings of the Arctic Sea; "Viehkinger" is a portmanteau of "vieh" (beasts) and "Vikings"|
|Italian||Nevichinghi||Portmanteau of "neve" (snow) and "Vichinghi" (Vikings)|
|Portuguese (NOE)||Fresquitos do Mar do Norte
|North Sea Fresquitoes|
|From "снег" (sneg, "snow")|
|Spanish||Frigómadas||A portmanteau of "frigo" (fridge) and "nómadas" (nomads)|
|Spanish (NOE)||Invasores del Mar del Norte||North Sea invaders|
- "Help Donkey Kong and his friends save their home and banana hoard from marauding Vikings in the Donkey Kong Country™: Tropical Freeze game from Retro Studios." — Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, North American Nintendo eShop
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze British English instruction manual (PDF). Tab 5: "About This Game".
- Official Russian Nintendo website.