- This article is about the battle course from the Mario Kart series. For the home of several Nintendo characters in the comic "Super Mario in Die Nacht des Grauens", see Nintendo Skyscraper.
The course icon in Mario Kart 64.
|Appears in||Mario Kart 64 (1996)|
Mario Kart Wii (2008)
|Online play||No longer available (Wii)|
Skyscraper is a battle course in Mario Kart 64. The battle takes place on the roof of a giant skyscraper, making it possible to bump opponents off the stage. There are several gaps in the roof, making it easy to accidentally fall off and lose a balloon. It is the currently the only battle course in the Mario Kart series to have a one-word name, and one of two courses in general with this distinction (the other being Electrodrome, a race course from Mario Kart 8).
Mario Kart Wii
Skyscraper returns in Mario Kart Wii. In the stage's Wii version, it was made larger to accommodate 12 players. The edges of the gaps in the roof became ramps on which players can perform tricks. Areas 1-4 are also re-ordered clockwise instead of having 1-2 and 3-4 parallel to each other (based on players' starting positions), and have become color-coded yellow, green, cyan, and magenta.
In Mario Kart Wii, a tournament took place on this battle course, where the course was made into a race track. Players had to do a time trial around the track, while avoiding the Bob-omb Cars from Moonview Highway. The control scheme was restricted to Wii Wheel users. It was the first tournament of September 2008, and it was later repeated as the first tournament of September 2010, the first tournament of February 2012, and the second tournament of April 2013.
Mario Kart 64
- Instruction booklet: "It's a wild battle on top of the skyscraper! If you fall off the building, you will lose one balloon. There are no guardrails to keep you from falling, so don't speed too much. A highly effective strategy for attacking your opponents is to crash into them in an attempt to knock them off instead of relying simply on the use of items."
- Web page: "The Skyscraper arena is situated high atop a skyscraper. If you fall off the building, you will lose one of your balloons. Heavier Karts can knock lighter ones off the roof without using an item. Since this arena is the smallest of all, you can't hide, and it's a good idea to keep your speed down. It's also easy to ambush you opponent when he is put back on the course by Lakitu."
Mario Kart Wii
- European website: "It's a long way down from up here, so take care as you race over rooftops. Don't get dazzled by those giant searchlights!"
Names in other languages
- (February 5, 1998) Nintendo: Mario Kart 64: Battle Mode (Internet Archive). Retrieved February 24, 2018.