- Not to be confused with Jump Charge.
The charge jump, also known as the Power Squat Jump, Power Jump, Squat Jump, or Super Jump, is a jump that Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Toad can perform in Super Mario Bros. 2 and its reissues in Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario Advance. It is done by holding down on to charge up and then jumping. Characters do not necessarily have to remain ducking; they can keep the charge until they actually jump, though it resets if the player moves left/right before jumping. Unlike the normal jump move, this jump makes the characters jump higher and reach places they normally cannot. In Super Mario Advance, the characters perform a backflip upon using the charge jump.
Although this move did not appear in early versions of Mario Bros., the Mario Bros. remakes found in the Super Mario Advance series and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga let Mario and Luigi perform this move.
In Super Mario 3D Land, Super Mario 3D World, and the Super Mario 3D World game style in Super Mario Maker 2, the Backward Somersault must be charged up first, in the same way as the charge jump. As of version 3.0.0 in Super Mario Maker 2, the player is also able to perform the charge jump itself after obtaining the SMB2 Mushroom in the Super Mario Bros. style, though its charge resets when the player stops crouching.
Super Mario Bros. 2
- Wii Virtual Console manual: "Hold down on until your character starts to flash, then press to perform an extra-high jump."
Names in other languages
|French||Saut Chargé||Charged Jump|
Gransalto da abbassati (Super Mario Bros. Wonder)
Big-jump from crouching
- Super Mario Bros. 2 instruction booklet, page 12.
- Nintendo Power Volume 1, page 23.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 Inside Out, Part II. Pages 10 and 16.
- Super Mario All-Stars instruction booklet, page 17.
- Nintendo PlayChoice-10 Super Mario Bros. 2 instructions
- Super Mario Bros. 2 Inside Out, Part I. Page 17.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 Inside Out, Part II. Pages 16 and 24.
- NES Game Atlas Nintendo Player's Guide, page 24.
- Super Mario All-Stars Player's Guide. Page 97.
- Super Mario Advance North American instruction booklet, page 20.
- Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga instruction booklet, page 40.
- Nintendo of America (August 31, 2023). Super Mario Bros. Wonder Direct 8.31.2023. YouTube. Retrieved September 11, 2023.
- Yume Kōjō: Doki Doki Panic instruction booklet, page 19.
- Super Mario Bros. 2 Italian e-manual, pag. 1
- Super Mario Advance European manual, pag. 105
- Super Mario Advance European manual, pag. 108
- Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition Italian manual, pag. 35
|Characters||Mario • Luigi|
|Items and objects||? Block† • ? Kinoko‡ • Card† • Coin • Egg# • Fish Skeleton# • Floor • Garbage can# • Heart# • Koopa Shell# • Ladder† • POW Block • Starman# • Super Mushroom‡ • Wafer*|
|Enemies||Boo‡ • Bowser# • Fighter Fly • Fireball • Icicle • Koopa‡ • Shellcreeper • Sidestepper • Slipice • Spiny†‡#|
|Other||Gallery • Staff|
|*Atari 2600 port †Super Mario Bros. 3 minigame ‡Super Mario All-Stars Battle Game #Game Boy Advance remake|