|Full name||Madame Clairvoya, the Freaky Fortune-Teller|
|Biography||Her close connection to the spirit world lets her see nearly 49 days into the future.|
|Heart quote||Destiny chooses our paths...|
Madame Clairvoya, The Freaky-Fortune Teller is a fortune-telling spirit and an ally of Luigi, appearing as one of the portrait ghosts in Luigi's Mansion and its remake. Her name is an abbreviation of "clairvoyance", referring to extra-sensory perception (ESP), including the ability to see into the future. Madame comes from a part of a common fortuneteller name. Clairvoya has the ability to read fortunes by examining personal belongings. She also owns a crystal ball to help her see events to come. However, according to Professor E. Gadd's Game Boy Horror, the ball lets Clairvoya see less than 49 days into the future. Clairvoya's portrait number in Professor E. Gadd's gallery is 7.
Madame Clairvoya is located in the Fortune-teller's Room, but she does not reveal herself unless Luigi shines his flashlight on the crystal ball and lets it shine. During Luigi's search for his brother Mario, he discovers five objects that Mario lost in the mansion; Mario's Hat, Mario's Glove, Mario's Shoe, Mario's Letter, and Mario's Star.
Luigi brings these items to Madame Clairvoya, who examines them and predicts events that are happening in the mansion. These items do not have to be given in a specific order. Upon examining the items, Madame Clairvoya gives the following readings:
- First Item: "Ohhh... Harummm... I see that your Mario lives... Well, he is not in the spirit world... but one cannot say he is alive... haackth ha ha hork! (Excuse me, sorry.) Where is he? Where is he now? ...Ah, the spirits fall silent! Uuuh... This is all I can tell you for now! Bring to me another clue and I will show your brother to you. This clue no longer speaks to us..."
- Second Item: "Oooh...Harummm... Your Mario is imprisoned... but where, oh where is he being held? Yes! A painting! Your Mario has been imprisoned within a painting! My orb shows an odd altar, and...c'mon you stupid orb... Yes! Above it, your Mario! Trapped in a painting! Acch! I cannot concentrate... The spirits are leaving me... If you wish to know more of your Mario, bring more of his dropped items!"
- Third Item: "Listen! Can you hear it? The inner voice of your sweet, beloved Mario! Oh horrors! What is this? ...A king? ...King Boo?! What is this King Boo?! ...I do not understand just what he means, but... Beware of King Boo! This is what your brother wishes to say to you. Ohhh, yes, a Boo who wears a crown. I see! This is King Boo! ...SO! He is the one who has captured your Mario! Ahhhhh! I can say no more! The spirits leave me even now!"
- Fourth Item: "Ah-hahhh! I can hear it! Your brother, Mario! He cries out for you! What...? The power of the Boos? You wish to tell us something of their mysterious Boo-power? Ohh... Harummm... The Boos do indeed have strange powers... When they gather in numbers, their power grows stronger! ...But! They do fear your mighty Poltergust 3000! Ugh... I fear that I have only enough power within me to read one more of your brother's dropped items... my strength ebbs away..."
- Fifth Item: "Ah, the spirits return to me! I see! I see! I see your dear Mario! The scene appears before me......... Wh-what is this!? Bowser?! How can this be?! I see the hideous form of Bowser! Is Bowser somewhere in this mansion? I cannot believe it... And yet I see it... I thought that Mario had soundly defeated Bowser! Has King Boo somehow revived Bowser? This could be horrible! Well, for you....... Uggghh! Ahhh no, the powers leave me! The spirits depart! This is all I can show you, Luigi... That was the last of my power. But I have given words to what the spirits have shown... so I can return to my painting satisfied. Send me there now, you vacuum-wielding rogue! Ahhhhh! Finally, I can return in peace to my painting... Sweet happiness in oils... I thank you... I thank you, kind Luigi!"
Through her readings, Clairvoya predicts the arrival of the evil Bowser (who is actually just King Boo in the final battle using a mechanical - though lifelike - Bowser decoy). After this final prediction, Clairvoya loses her powers of precognition.
Because she is afraid of Bowser and feels her purpose is fulfilled, Madame Clairvoya begs Luigi to return her to her portrait frame. She exposes her heart so Luigi can suck her up and, before he shines his flashlight on her, she giggles at the thought of returning to her "sanctuary" portrait and locks up the doors so Luigi can not go out. All Luigi has to do is turn on the flashlight, shine it on her, turn on his Poltergust 3000, and suck her up. In spite of this, Madame Clairvoya drops a Poison Mushroom and struggles slightly with the capture, though her pull is the weakest of any ghost with a heart, not moving Luigi much at all.
Mario Kart series
Madame Clairvoya's silver frame portrait appears in the Luigi's Mansion battle course in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. Her silver frame is also seen in the Luigi's Mansion track for Mario Kart DS. These cameos were removed when the courses returned as classic courses.
Madame Clairvoya is a light blue-skinned ghost of unknown age and origins. She wears a purple veil in front of her mouth with the symbol of an eye, supposedly the mark of the seer. She wears a long red colored dress and a violet headscarf that covers her long pale hair. Her jewelry consists of a golden necklace, two ornate earrings and bracelets. Her eyes are yellowish accompanied with purple eyeshadow.
Unlike the rest of the portrait ghosts in the mansion, Madame Clairvoya is the only ghost who acts friendly and helpful towards Luigi, offering him her fortune-telling powers to find out his brother's whereabouts. To do this, Luigi has to find personal items that Mario dropped around the mansion and offer her these clues, and she can immediately get in touch with the spirit world and reveal information about Mario's disappearance. However, each of the five items gives only limited information, so Luigi always has to go looking for new things from Mario.
When she is not talked to, Madame Clairvoya is always seen concentrated on her crystal ball which provides her contact with the spirit world, but occasionally runs out of patience and hits it in an attempt for it to work while analyzing a clue. She sometimes confuses words while dialoguing with others before correcting herself. She is shown to be afraid of Bowser, which is demonstrated the moment she further reveals King Boo's plan to Luigi. As soon she hears of his presence in the mansion, her dialogues changes to a more nervous tone.
Luigi's Mansion (Nintendo 3DS)
The "Ask Madame Clairvoya" activity from the official Luigi's Mansion website
- "What...do you seek of me?" - Madame Clairvoya
- "I am Madame Clairvoya, seer of dropped items. Possessions of other people awaken vibrations in my spirit... If you find someone's dropped items, you should bring them to me. I will show you the extent of my vision..." - Madame Clairvoya introducing herself to Luigi
- "Hm? What is this object you have here? Show it, please, to Madame Clairvoya." - Madame Clairvoya after bringing one of Mario's clues to her
- "Wh-what is this?" - Madame Clairvoya analyzing the clue
- "Hm? Just one moment... Did I just say Mario? Could it be... THAT Mario?......Ahhh, I see now. Well, I see everything, so I saw it before, but now I REALLY see it. So you are the brother of the famous Mario... and you have come to this place to find him... Well, aren't you a good little brother! HACK ka ha harf!... Excuse me, I don't laugh much." - Madame Clairvoya upon learning Luigi is truly Mario's brother
- "Oh-ohh! They come! Now the spirits come!! Come, spirits of power, come spirits of sight! Show to me the awful things occuring here tonight!" - Madame Clairvoya sensing the spirits
- "Crystal orb, symbol of my clan, use your darkling power to show us all you could! I mean CAN! Show us all you can! Show us this...Mario!" - Madame Clairvoya to her crystal ball
The following audio clips are from the "Ask Madame Clairvoya" activity from the official Luigi's Mansion website. Her voice actress is currently unknown.
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "Yeess..." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "No...well, maybe." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "I am not going to answer that question!" - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "Next question?" - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "Perhaps." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "Come on! Everyone knows the answer to that one!" - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "Quite likely." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "That doesn't stand a ghost of a chance!" - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "Sounds good to me." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "No...never." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "As they say in France, oui oui." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "I don't know about that." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "Absolutely not." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "That is a question." - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
| Ask Madame Clairvoya - "NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! HEHEHA! I-I MEAN NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT! I AM MADAME CLAIRVOYA! BUT I AM NOT CLAIRVOYANT!!!" - One of Madame Clairvoya's answers||File info|
Names in other languages
|From "madame" and elongation of「見える」(mieru, to be seen)|
|French||Madame Clairvue, La Voyante Bizarre||Madame Clearview, the strange fortune teller|
|German||Madame le Caro, Abgedrehte Seherin||Madame le Caro, crazy seer|
|Italian||Madame Claravista, la veggente stramba||Madame Clearsight, the wacky clairvoyant|
|Spanish||Madame Claravidente, la extraña vidente||Madame Claravidente, the Freaky Clairvoyant. Pun on "clarividente" (clairvoyant) and the name Clara|
- Madame Clairvoya, with the Clockwork Soldiers and The Floating Whirlindas, are the only human-esque ghosts that have an unknown age in Luigi's Mansion.
- According to her bio, Madame Clairvoya can see nearly 49 days into the future. In Buddhism, it is believed that when someone dies, it takes 49 days for the spirit to be reborn.
- Morty from Luigi's Mansion 3, who is an ally to Luigi, plays a similar role to Madame Clairvoya.
- Igarashi, Kenjo (May 1, 2016). The Significance of the 49-Day Journey After Death. Sacramento Nichiren Buddhist Church. Retrieved July 22, 2023.