Switch (Wario Land 4)
Artwork of Wario jumping on the switch
|First appearance||Wario Land 4 (2001)|
|Latest appearance||Densetsu no Stafy 3 (2004)|
- “This switch has an ignorant little frog face!! Once you step on it, hurry up and get back to the vortex!”
- —Wario, Wario Land 4 instruction booklet
A switch, also referred to as a Timer or Portal Switch, is an object that appears at the end of every level in Wario Land 4. When Wario jumps on a switch, it opens to reveal a ticking time bomb, and any solid Kaeru Blocks turn transparent and vice-versa. Wario then yells, "Hurry up!" (or occasionally "No-no-no... Hurry up!" or "H-H-Hurry up!"), the game's theme becomes more intense, and the player is given a certain amount of time to escape the level by returning to the vortex at the beginning of the stage. If Wario does not escape before the timer runs out, his coins and score will quickly deplete. If the score reaches zero, Wario will be forced out of the level and back to the main map.
The times given by the switches vary on the game mode. In the level Fiery Cavern, the switch turns the level into ice. In Hotel Horror, there are two doors that have a frog sign on them. Those doors open only when the switch is hit.
List of time limits
This table is a list of time limits given to complete levels in different game modes. It also includes the times to defeat the in-game bosses. The Golden Passage's switch is located at the beginning of the level in all modes.
|Level||Time limits given in different game modes to complete the levels|
|Hall of Hieroglyphs||1:00||0:15||2:30*|
|Spoiled Rotten (boss)||1:00||0:30||0:15|
|Palm Tree Paradise||1:30||0:45||4:30*|
|The Curious Factory||3:30||2:50||2:30|
|The Toxic Landfill||5:00||3:30||2:30|
|40 Below Fridge||4:00||3:30||2:00|
|Cuckoo Condor (boss)||4:00||3:00||2:00|
|Toy Block Tower||4:00||2:30||2:00|
|The Big Board||3:00||2:30||2:00|
|Crescent Moon Village||3:30||2:45||2:00|
|Golden Diva (boss)||6:00||5:00||4:00|
|*Switch position changes|
| Switch - Music that is heard when the switch is hit||File info|
Names in other languages
- A redesign of this switch is unused in Wario Land: Shake It! It is still mostly functional and activates shake blocks.
- Wario Land 4 American instruction booklet, page 15.
- Nintendo Power Advance V.3, page 56.
- Nintendo Official Magazine (UK) Issue 114, page 59.
- Wario Land Advance: Yōki no Otakara Japanese instruction booklet, page 13.
- Official Chinese manual for Wario Land 4, page 15.
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 50.
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 30.
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 110.
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 111.
- Wario Land 4 European instruction booklet, page 90.
- Official Wario Land 4 website (Guías Nintendo)