Artwork of Dark Samus from Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Species||Metroid/Human hybrid (cybernetically augmented with the Phazon Suit and naturally infused with Phazon)|
|First appearance||Metroid Prime (2002, Metroid series; unnamed cameo)|
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (2004, Metroid series; as Dark Samus)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008, Mario-related media; cameo as a trophy and a sticker)
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (2018)|
- “Dark Samus is a living Phazon entity with the radioactive substance Phazon as her energy supply. She has a wide range of abilities, like being able to teleport, cloak herself, and attack with an arm cannon.”
- —Tips, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Dark Samus is the main antagonist of two Metroid Prime games of the Metroid series. Revealed in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes as a doppelgänger of Samus Aran, Dark Samus is actually the result of Metroid Prime fusing itself with Samus' Phazon Suit (and a sample of Samus' DNA by extension) following its defeat on Tallon IV in Metroid Prime.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Dark Samus appears as both a collectible trophy and a sticker, both of which depict her appearance in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. In Brawl's Adventure Mode, The Subspace Emissary, her sticker can only be equipped by Samus and Zero Suit Samus, and gives them a +11 increase in their battering resistance when equipped.
A "Dark Samus" appears in co-op Event 7: Battle of the Dark Side. Although it is meant to represent Dark Samus herself, this Dark Samus is merely Samus' model recolored entirely black.
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Dark Samus appears as an Assist Trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, taking her appearance from Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. She attacks using a variety of Phazon-based abilities, such as tentacles that sprout from the ground, a scattershot of bullet-like blasts from her Arm Cannon, or a barrage of energy balls that home in on enemies. If enough damage is dealt to Dark Samus, a ball of light forms around her before she disappears; otherwise, she simply disappears after a period of time. Dark Samus is also the basis for one of Samus' alternate colorations.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
|Super Smash Bros. fighter|
|Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (unlockable)|
|Standard: Charge Shot |
Up: Screw Attack
Final Smash: Phazon Laser
|Dark Samus emerges from a dark blue wormhole surrounded in darkness before it fades away.|
- SmashWiki article: Dark Samus (SSBU)
Dark Samus is as an unlockable playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate; this marks not only her playable debut in the Super Smash Bros. series, but also her first playable appearance in any game. Due to being an Echo Fighter of Samus, Dark Samus fights almost exactly like Samus, but has a number of different animations and unique taunts and victory poses. Compared to Samus, Dark Samus uses Phazon in her moveset, as indicated by blue flames with an electric effect for all but two of Samus' respective flame-based attacks, and dark blue energy for Charge Shot and Zero Laser. In addition, her rolls involve her evading via levitation instead of transforming into a Morph Ball.
In Ultimate's Adventure Mode, World of Light, Dark Samus is not seen when the fighters oppose Galeem for the first time. However, she, like every fighter except Kirby, is hit by one of Galeem's beams of light and imprisoned in the World of Light, where a Puppet Fighter of her is created. Said Puppet Fighter initially serves Galeem, but is later brought under Dharkon's control. The Dharkon-serving Dark Samus Puppet Fighter is eventually defeated, freeing the real Dark Samus and thus enabling her to join Kirby's team against Galeem and Dharkon.
Dark Samus is a heavy fighter, being heavier than Wario, Ike, Ridley, Simon, and Richter but lighter than Piranha Plant, while having the same weight as Samus, Bowser Jr. (and the Koopalings), and Terry.
Classic Mode route
Dark Samus' Classic Mode route is titled "The Great Poison Given Form", where she teams up with "dark" versions of characters (in reference to Phazon Corruption) against protagonists.
|The Great Poison Given Form|
|Hyrule Castle||Hyrule Castle (Outside)|
|2||Chrom, Lucina||Team Battle
|Arena Ferox||Power-Hungry Fool|
|Suzaku Castle||M. Bison Stage Type B|
|4||Squirtle, Charizard, Pikachu||Team Battle
|Saffron City||Battle! (Team Galactic)|
|5||Mario, Peach, Daisy||Team Battle
|Princess Peach's Castle||Main Theme - Luigi's Mansion (Brawl)|
|6||Samus, Ridley||Free-for-All||Norfair||Vs. Ridley (Brawl)|
|Final||Master Hand, Crazy Hand (intensity 7.0 or higher)||Final Destination||Master Hand|
Master Hand / Crazy Hand (intensity 7.0 or higher)
Profiles and statistics
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|Dark Samus||GCN Metroid Prime 2: Echoes||A twin image of Samus, encountered near the beginning of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. Dark Samus is identical to Samus in every way but color--she even uses similar attacks. There are many theories on the origin of Dark Samus, but none are proven. Dark Samus uses Phazon for energy and can absorb it to heal damage. Samus encounters Dark Samus a number of times.|
|Metroid Prime 2: Echoes||[Battering] - Resistance +11|
Usable by: Samus, Zero Suit Samus
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U trophy
Blue indicates exclusive to the Wii U version.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Palutena: Is that Dark Samus?!
- Pit: You know her?
- Palutena: She's a being of pure Phazon created after Metroid Prime absorbed DNA from Samus's Phazon Suit.
- Pit: No wonder she looks like Samus.
- Viridi: Samus's suit and a Metroid combined? There's no way she isn't strong.
- Palutena: Oh, she's strong all right. Along with ruthless and cunning.
- Pit: Um, so what's a Phazum?
- Palutena: It's Phazon. A blue radioactive substance that can produce massive amounts of energy. However, it can suddenly mutate and become invasive to mineral elements, making it incredibly dangerous.
- Viridi: The monkeys never should have messed with the stuff, but they insisted and it blew up in their faces.
- Palutena: Dark Samus was defeated, but the power of Phazon brought her back. A sentient Phazon being with free will. Between Dark Samus and Ridley, Samus has no shortage of archenemies.
Super Smash Blog bio
Dark Samus joins the battle as Samus's echo fighter. With floatier movement, she's a little different from Samus--and she doesn't roll when dodging or jumping. If you look closely, you can see that her bombs and missiles look a little different, too.
- Summoned into the Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate game, Dark Samus joins the battle as Samus's echo fighter. With floatier movement, she's a little different from Samus--and she doesn't roll when dodging or jumping. If you look closely, you can see that her bombs and missiles look a little different, too.
Names in other languages
|French||Samus sombre||Dark Samus|
|German||Dunkle Samus||Dark Samus|
|Italian||Samus Oscura||Dark Samus|
|Spanish||Samus oscura||Dark Samus|