- This article is about the minigame in Game & Wario. For the stage in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, see Gamer (stage).
Gamer is 9-Volt and 18-Volt's minigame in Game & Wario. The minigame is played using 's buttons. Gamer returns in WarioWare Gold as a stage in Challenge Mode, this time under the name Sneaky Gamer; the microgame Mole also reappears in the game.
9-Volt and 18-Volt play a game on their new console, competing to find out who gets the high score in the game. 9-Volt wins and beats 18-Volt's score, causing the latter to throw a tantrum while the former celebrates, but then 5-Volt takes the console from them and tells them to do their homework. After 9-Volt and 18-Volt do so, 5-Volt gives the console back, and 9-Volt is surprised to discover 5-Volt had beaten both of their scores by a wide margin.
There are two modes in the minigame. Both involve the characters playing a modified version of Balloon Fight containing microgames, called Balloon Fighter.
In this mode, the player must help 9-Volt win enough microgames to beat 5-Volt's high score and avoid letting 5-Volt discover that he is playing past his bedtime. She constantly looks into his bedroom to see if he is sleeping, forcing the player to hide and pause the game. The Wakey Meter displays the amount of time 9-Volt can stay awake; hiding with good timing (indicated by "Great!!") prevents any meter loss, and in Endless Mode, it restores a small portion (+3) of the meter. The game ends if the player fails to hide their game from 5-Volt, the Wakey Meter runs out, or they lose all lives (indicated by chance balloons).
5-Volt opens the door and looks into the room, which is signaled by the sound of her footsteps and the door handle jiggling. She may also walk by the window and open the second half that she stops by (signaled by a scare chord), or even pop out from the TV, signaled by the static display of it. If the player receives at least 1,000 points on Level 1, 2, or 3, they achieve Gamer status; if they score at least 30 points in the Endless level, they also achieve Gamer status. Achieving Gamer status rewards the player with a coin for the Cluck-A-Pop.
- Level 1: There are only a few distractions.
- A cat quickly opens the door instead of 5-Volt; in Sneaky Gamer, Fronk may do so as well.
- 5-Volt may hum the Underground Theme or the Ground Theme from Super Mario Bros. and then suddenly open the door.
- 5-Volt may also stop without opening the window and then walk away.
- A shadow puppet may appear on the TV screen.
- The TV displays a shadow hand puppet, or turns on to show a static display for a brief time, then turns off.
- The door opens just a bit by itself.
- Level 2: 5-Volt gains a few more techniques, and more distractions are added.
- An old man with a wig walks by 9-Volt's window and opens it; the wig is loose and falls off beforehand.
- 5-Volt may open the door three times in a row, with the last time possibly being the cat instead.
- 5-Volt can also fake the player out by opening the window to check 9-Volt and walking offscreen past the window, then walking back and opening it again.
- The television turns on and cycles through up to three different programs, with 5-Volt possibly coming out from the last of them to try to catch 9-Volt.
- The television turns on and shows some SMPTE color bars for a brief time, then turns off.
- 5-Volt either walks near 9-Volt's window like normal or else walks faster—only to suddenly break through it, giving the player less time to hide.
- 5-Volt may walk by the window and slowly sink down—then, either she comes up and opens the window, or a pair of upside-down legs appears and moves away.
- Level 3: There are many more scenarios to look out for.
- When 5-Volt walks by 9-Volt's window, she may bump into the wig-wearing old man, who then opens the window (or vice versa).
- 5-Volt can jump out of the TV and stay in 9-Volt's room after certain attempts to catch him; a tense score plays when she is keeping her eyes on him. She may sit down and watch TV for a brief period of time, then turn off the TV, look back at 9-Volt, and walk to the door, with the cat opening the door for her. Should the TV flip to a test pattern, she becomes restless and rushes over to his bed, trying to catch him in the act. Eventually, she runs back to her initial spot to watch TV for a little while longer; once she turns it off, she watches 9-Volt intently as she leaves, with the cat opening the door for her.
- In Sneaky Gamer, Mr. Sparkles can appear on the TV screen.
- In Sneaky Gamer, 5-Volt can appear by lifting up the table with the TV; this is indicated by the entire table shaking before it is lifted to reveal her or Mr. Sparkles. The table may also shake and stop without being lifted.
- In Sneaky Gamer, 5-Volt's handprints may also appear at the window before she opens it, hanging upside down, in an attempt to catch 9-Volt awake.
- Endless: This level is at the same difficulty as Level 3 and uses the same set of 5-Volt appearances and distractions, along with several new ones; the level continues until the game ends under any condition.
- After the TV switches through two channels, a cat may pop out of the TV before running back in.
- 5-Volt may change her walking speed while going by the window outside, including when she doubles back to open it.
- 5-Volt often opens the window multiple times in the same pass, accompanied by a scare chord when she runs to the window; like with the door, the last time it is opened, the player may see the wig-wearing old man instead.
- After 5-Volt moves from the TV and tries to catch 9-Volt on his bed, she may fall asleep; the player can see a snot bubble appear when she does, though she can wake up suddenly. Once awake, she may jump outside through the window; in Sneaky Gamer, she instead runs back to her initial sitting spot, with her movement pattern proceeding as usual.
- In Sneaky Gamer, 5-Volt may slowly open the door to catch 9-Volt.
- In Sneaky Gamer, a scare chord may play rarely, followed by 5-Volt jumping into the room through the window; she then uses the same set of techniques to catch 9-Volt as when she jumps out of the TV.
- A Cluck-A-Pop coin may drop onto the console and appear in a microgame, and the player can claim it by tapping it.
In this mode, 18-Volt is playing the console. This mode is very similar to other WarioWare games, with three difficulty levels for microgames, and ends only when the player loses all four chance balloons. After the player beats the boss microgame, various intermission cutscenes play. The time of day also progresses. The cutscenes include:
- 18-Volt eating a handful of popcorn (first time).
- 18-Volt watching a running person pass by (second time).
- An automobile driving by (day and evening only).
- A person walking with four cats following them (night only).
There is a rare chance that 5-Volt appears from behind a bush to give the player a scare; after a few seconds, she walks away. In the next intermission, she walks in front of her home.
- Normal: If the player scores 40 points or more, they achieve Gamer status.
- Ultra Speed: From the beginning, the games go very fast. If the player scores 20 points or more, they achieve Gamer status.
- Hardcore: At the start, the player begins with only one chance balloon and all microgames are set to their hardest difficulty. If the player scores 10 points or more, they achieve Gamer status.
These scores are based on Levels 1–3 only. Scores for other modes are based on microgames encountered. Only microgames completed count; a microgame interrupted partway by a Game Over does not count.
- Each point remaining on Wakey Meter: 10 points
- Lives remaining: 100 points
Thus, the highest possible score is 1,400 (with four lives remaining and a full Wakey Meter), while the lowest is 110 (one life remaining and a nearly empty meter).
Game & Wario
Each of these microgames can be played individually without facing any threats from 5-Volt by obtaining them from the Cluck-A-Pop machine. They are represented by orange capsules and take up spots 59–80 in the capsule collection.
|Everyone's favorite tried-and-true finger-in-the-nose game is back! But these honkers have got flair and originality!||
|Aaaah! We'll be squashed! Run away! Huh?! Some people like getting squashed...|
|Count the moles, but that means the moles ONLY! Well, you might have to count other things once in a while...||
|Prepare to meet the world's most powerful finger!|
|Roll the roller up and down to roll it out! Man, that's a lot of rolling...||
|All stars crave the spotlight. But staying in it can sure be tough!|
Super Fly Swatter
|This just might be the world's biggest flyswatter. It's great for swatting multiple flies at once. It can even swat things that only look like flies!||
|Move left and right at the correct time to escape! You can tell which way Mr. Dino is going to go by the way he's facing. But sometimes he'll fake you out...|
|Can you see this? Show me which direction it's facing. The nurse will occasionally pop in to help. Oh, and one more thing: our clinic is really popular these days. We apologize for all the people moving about.||
|This is the G&W Ball, which Nintendo used to sell a looong time ago. Oh, G&W doesn't stand for GAME & WARIO. It stands for GAME & WATCH!|
|The wandering samurai from Rhythm Heaven has a part-time job at a fish factory?! Time the rhythm and get those fish sliced!||
|Just take them apart! Or put them back together!|
|There's really not much difference between a fake and the real thing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. It goes without saying, therefore, that this game may not be what it seems.||
|Why didn't we call this game Wiener Dog? My boss told me not to...|
|Why are there banana peels everywhere?! It's driving me bananas!||
|Swim and eat. That's it! Oh, and watch out for fishing lures and bigger fish!|
|More like loose teeth! They're all falling out! Find a healthy one as fast as you can.||
|My nighttime allergies are really acting up again! Surely a fronk will cure what's ailing me.|
|Bad guys? A damsel in distress?! A hero is you!||
|You'd think I could remember the way home. Nope!|
|Trust me—everyone finds this guy annoying. Flick him out of here, would ya? He's enjoying that record way too much.||
|Put a cork in it! That's really all there is to it. Oh, and watch out for the spiky balls falling from above and fish jumping from below!|
All of the microgames featured in the WarioWare Gold version of Gamer are part of the Mash League.
- Super Wario Bros.
- Body Block
- Munch a Bunch
- Goal in One
- Wario Whirled
- Close Call
- Gold Digger
- Down & Outie
- Sloppy Salon
- Tip the Scale
- Mug Shot
- Extreme Patty-Cake
- Electric Groove Fish
- Cavity Calamity
- Cover Up
- The Brush Off
- Ocarina of Time
- Yoshi's Island
- Game & Watch: Manhole
- Diddly Squat
- Gravitational Pull
- Right of Way
- Hover for Cover
- No Solicitors
- Eye Spy
- Arrow Space
- Bug Birdie
- Worm Squirm
- Word Up
- LV 1 BOSS: Nail Call
- LV 2 BOSS: One Hit Wonder
- LV 3 BOSS: Punch Out
Game & Wario
- / : Do microgame actions
- + or + : Hide game
- / : Do microgame actions
- + : Hide game
Game & Wario
Hi, I'm 9-Volt! I just got the new super-popular portable game BALLOON FIGHTER! I'm kinda bummed right now because my mom beat my high score, so I'm staying up past my bedtime to get it back! She keeps coming by to check on me, though, so I have to pretend to be asleep...which is actually making me kinda sleepy.
I'm determined to beat the boss today. When my mom comes by, hide the system, OK? I never cause trouble, so she won't check on me too...I don't think. (Score 1000+ points to achieve Gamer status!)
My mom's been coming by more often lately. I think she knows I'm being sneaky and staying up to play games. But that won't stop me. I have to beat a really hard boss today! (Score 1000+ points to achieve Gamer status!)
I really wanna beat the final boss tonight! But my mom's getting pretty crazy about checking on me... I wish she'd be cool and just leave me alone! (Score 1000+ points to achieve Gamer status!)
I think I've figured out my mom's patrol pattern, so tonight I'm gonna stay up all night! If I'm really good at hiding, I'll barely lose any energy. (Score 30+ points to achieve Gamer status!)
18-Volt here! I'm 9-Volt's best friend. My mom's always out, so I can play video games whenever I want. I'm really into BALLOON FIGHTER right now. Ever heard of it?
This is the hit game BALLOON FIGHTER! 9-Volt's mom is super strict, so it's hard for him to get very far. He should just come over here to play! (Score 40+ points to achieve Gamer status!)
This version of BALLOON FIGHTER is fast right from the start and super hard. It'll really get your adrenaline pumping! (Score 20+ points to achieve Gamer status!)
The Hardcore version of BALLOON FIGHTER is only for advanced players. The game speed is normal, but if you make a single mistake, it's game over! (Score 10+ points to achieve Gamer status!)
Hey, you guys! 9-Volt here! I love to play games right before I go to bed. Too bad my mom doesn't approve. Could you keep watch for me? Controls: Mash
Names in other languages
|French||Gamer (Game & Wario)
Gamer furtif (Gold)
|Spanish||Gamer (Game & Wario)
A escondidas (Gold)
On the quiet
- In Gamer, a Virtual Boy can be seen next to the television; Sneaky Gamer replaces it with a Wii U.
- "If 9-Volt pretends to sleep when 5-Volt's not around, you'll drain your Wakey Meter. When the Wakey Meter reaches 0, 9-Volt falls asleep for real, and you lose the game!" – WarioWare Gold instructions for Sneaky Gamer
- arronmunroe (August 14, 2018). Game & Wario: Gamer: 9-Volt and 18-Volt All Stages 60fps. YouTube.
|Game & Wario|
|Main characters||Wario (Captain Wario) • Mona • Jimmy T • Kat & Ana • Young Cricket • 9-Volt • 18-Volt • Dr. Crygor • Ashley • Dribble & Spitz • Pyoro • Orbulon • Penny • Fronk • Mike|
|Minor characters||5-Volt • Detective Frank • Legendary Cat Dancers • Editor Joe • Master Mantis • Red • Sal Out • Ski bunnies • Reporter John • Alien Bunny • Squeaks|
|Minigames||Single-player||Arrow • Shutter • Ski • Patchwork • Kung Fu • Gamer • Design • Ashley • Taxi • Pirates • Bowling • Bird|
|Multiplayer||Sketch • Fruit • Islands • Disco|
|Locations||9-Volt's House • Ashley's Mansion • Diamond City • Dr. Crygor's Lab • Highway 56 • Toy Express • Wario's House|
|Objects||Computer • Dribble Taxi • Fruit • Oinker • UFOs|
|Miscellaneous||Gallery • Hint Card • Mona Superscoop • Pre-release and unused content • Quotes • Staff|