Team Large Hill
|Team Large Hill|
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
Team Large Hill is a Ski Jumping Event in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to score as many points as possible, with the event taking place in the Whistler Olympic Park. The starting record is held by Sonic with a score of 492.0pts. Lakitu appears as a referee in this event.
In this event, four characters perform a jump each to score points, with their team total deciding their placement in the event. To start the event, the player must swing the Wii Remote down. Before starting, the player is shown the current wind strength and direction, and should aim to start when a strong headwind is blowing to achieve a greater distance. The player only has a limited amount of time they can wait before starting, and if time expires the character will start automatically regardless of the wind direction. Once the character begins their descent, the player must balance by tilting the Wii Remote left and right, with the character more likely to overbalance in stronger crosswinds. The better balance the character has, the more distance they can achieve and balance points they will score. The player can gain an additional speed boost during the descent by pressing to perform their special action, or they can perform it once they are in the air, but can only perform it once on each attempt. When the character reaches the edge of the jump platform, the player must swing the Wii Remote upwards to perform a jump, with the timing of their swing affecting the distance that the jump can achieve. Once in the air, the player must continue to balance their character to achieve better distances and gain more balance points. As the character approaches the ground, the player must swing the Wii Remote downwards at the end of the countdown to land, with the timing of their swing affecting their landing and the number of balance points that the character can earn. Once the player has finished their jump, the player is awarded points for distance and balance, as well as the total of the two which will go towards the team's score.
- In the Team Large Hill, groups of four players form teams and compete for combined totals of distance and balance points.
- Work as a team to get the highest score by combining distance and balance points earned for jumping and landing form.
- First, you'll have to decide when to begin your run while watching the ever-changing strength and direction of the wind.
- Shake the Wii Remote to begin! A headwind will yield more distance than a tailwind.
- Twist the Wii Remote to keep the character's form upright during your pre-jump descent for added speed.
- Swing the Wii Remote upwards at the edge of the jump platform to perform a jump.
- Tilt the Wii Remote up, down, left and right to maintain the character's balance and keep their form upright while in the air.
- Shake the Wii Remote at the end of the "3, 2, 1" to perform a landing. Miss the timing and you'll fail to stick it!
- Strong winds will cause the character to lose their balance more easily, while weak winds make it difficult to achieve good distance.
- Perform a landing just before touching down to adopt the high-scoring Telemark position. Crash landings will cost major points, though!
- Press to use your special action! Use it during your starting run or in midair for a burst of speed and more distance.
Names in other languages
|Large Hill Group|
|Dutch||Skispringen (team)||Ski Jumping (team)|
|French||Tremplin normal par équipe||Team Normal Hill|
|German||Teamspringen Großschanze||Team Jumping Large Hill|
|Italian||Trampolino lungo: squadre||Long Trampoline: teams|
|Spanish||Trampolín largo, equipos||Long Trampoline, teams|