Dream Short Track
|Dream Short Track|
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
Dream Short Track is a Dream Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is for the team to complete four laps of the course in the fastest combined time, with the event taking place in Egg Factory. To unlock this event, the player must reach day 12 of Festival Mode or day 15 of Team Festival Mode. The starting record for this event is held by Metal Sonic with a time of 2:20.103.
In this event, the player starts by swinging the Wii Remote down when the word "Go!" appears onscreen. Doing so with perfect timing will give the character a speed boost, though swinging down too early will delay the character's start. Once the event has started, the player can steer the character by tilting the Wii Remote left and right, and can accelerate on straights by shaking the Wii Remote left and right. The course features jumps, which can be jumped from by swinging the Wii Remote upwards at the end of the ramp. The closer to the end of the ramp that the player swings, the further the character will jump, though swinging too late will result in a smaller jump. At the end of each lap, the character's speed will be locked so that they can hand off to the next character. To hand off, the player must swing the Wii Remote down when the characters meet, and doing so with perfect timing will give the receiving character a speed boost. The player can use their special action to gain a short speed boost by pressing . Each character has one special action that they can use for their portion of the race, but the can be used again if the player collects a special action item of five of the Rings found on the track. The track also features screws and crates as obstacles, where the former will knock the player over, and the latter only slows the player down. Dash Panels also appear on the course, and give the character a speed boost when passed over. The player can also collect Item Boxes on the course and use the items with . The following items can be obtained:
- Green Shell: Can be thrown straight forward and will knock over any opponents it hits. Can be blocked using a Super Star or a barrier.
- Red Shell: Homes in on the opponent directly in front of the player and knocks them over when it hits. Can be blocked using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Super Star: Grants the player invincibility and a speed boost for a short amount of time.
- Lightning: Strikes all of the opponents with lightning, knocking them over. Can be blocked using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Fake Item Box: Can be placed behind the player on the course and will knock over any players that hit it. Can be blocked using a Super Star or Barrier.
- High Speed Shoes: Grants the player a speed boost for a short amount of time.
- Barrier: Indefinitely protects the player from one attack.
- Bomb: Places a bomb in front of each of the opponents, that explodes upon being hit or after a short amount of time. Any characters caught in the explosion will be knocked down. Can be blocked using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Special Action: Allows the character to use their special action again.
The team that completes four laps of the track in the fastest time wins the event.
- In the Dream Short Track event, players take turns racing around Eggman's base while competing for the shortest total time.
- Dodge the tricks and traps that line the track as you pass the baton along and race to the finish line!
- Shake the Wii Remote when the count on "READY, GO!" reaches "GO!" for a starting dash!
- Once the race begins, quickly swing the Wii Remote left and right to build up speed.
- Tilt the Wii Remote to the left or right to turn. Try to turn at the very inside of the track for the best time!
- Swing the Wii Remote left and right on the green acceleration zones on straightaways to dash.
- Once you get past the green tack, you can tilt the Wii Remote left or Right to make adjustments to your course.
- To ascend a slope, quickly swing the Wii Remote left and right.
- On the jump ramps, swing upwards with the Wii Remote with the right timing to make the highest jump possible.
- If you time your jump well, you might be able to avoid an incline altogether.
- In the Dream Short Track, players each race one after the next in turn.
- As your teammate draws near, swing the Wii Remote with the right timing for a smooth hand-off.
- Press to use items.
- Once the words SPEED LOCKED appear, your character's sped will remain the same. Focus on the teammate receiving the baton!
- When you reach the next player on your team, shake the Wii Remote to make the hand-off.
- Completing the hand-off with the right timing sends off the next skater with a burst of speed.
- The Dream Short Track course changes every lap.
- Try to learn the ins and outs of each course so you'll be able to adapt to the sudden changes mid-race.
- Press to use your special action and make your character perform a dash! Try to use it where it counts the most!
- Also, special actions can be reused after collecting 5 rings.
- When thrown, Green Shells travel in a straight line, and will knock down any character they hit.
- Red Shells automatically home in on their target and send the character they hit flying.
- Collect a Super Star to become invincible and move faster than normal for a set amount of time.
- Lightning will strike down your opponents and knock them down.
- Fake Item Boxes look just like the real thing, but will knock down anyone who touches them.
- Using High Speed Shoes will boost your speed for a set time, letting you go faster.
- The Barrier shields you from a single attack.
- Collect a Bomb to drop an explosive in front of an opposing player.
- The Special Action item allows you to use your special action again.