Ski Cross Racing
|Ski Cross Racing|
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo DS)|
|Info||Race through an adventurous seaside ski course set up with jumps, turns and obstacles with other competitors. All the skiers will start together from the same starting line, and the athlete who crosses the finish line first is the winner. Note that items are offered at several points on the course, usage of which can effect[sic] the outcome of the event.|
Race down the snowy seaside slope of the Ski Cross course.
|Controls||Start: Slide down|
Turn: Touch left/right
Accelerate: Slide down
Jump: Slide up
Item: Touch item slot
Ski Cross Racing is a Dream Skiing Dream Event that appears in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. The objective of the event is to complete the course in the fastest time, with the event taking place on Snow Island. The starting course record for this event is 01:35.904.
In this event, the player starts by sliding downwards on the Touch Screen when "Go!" appears, and can touch and hold the Touch Screen during the countdown to build up energy, allowing the player to perform a faster start. If the player begins charging from when "2" appears and releases with perfect timing, they will perform a starting dash, which grants them much larger speed boost. Once the event has started, the player can turn their character by touching on the let and right hand sides of the Touch Screen, and can slide downwards to cause them to crouch and pick up speed. The player can slide upwards to jump, which allows the player to perform a jump dash that will give them a speed boost when performed with the right timing from a jump platform. Jumping with perfect timing will give the player a larger speed boost and also cause the character to perform a trick animation. Throughout the course there are Rings that the player can pick up a maximum of ten of, which give they a small speed boost when collected and increase the character's top speed. The course also features Piranha Plants in Warp Pipes, which cause the player to lose speed and Rings when hit, Goombas, which slowly walk back and forth and cause the character to lose speed, and Dash Panels, which give a speed boost when skied over. If the character falls off the course at any point, they are retrieved by a Fishin' Lakitu, similarly to in the Mario Kart series, who will drop them back on the course where they fell off after a short while, and the player must then repeatedly slide downwards to regain their speed. The player can also collect items from Item Boxes, which have a variety of effects and are used by tapping the item slot once to throw them forwards and twice to throw them backwards. The items that the player can use are:
- Red Shell: Homes in on the player directly in front of or behind the player depending on which direction it is used in, causing them to lose speed when hit. Can be thrown backwards and blocked using a Barrier or Super Star.
- Spiny Shell: Homes in on the player in first place and causes them to lose speed in an explosion when hit.
- Barrier: Blocks one attack from another item. Can be overridden by using a Super Star when it is active.
- Super Star: Grants the player invincibility from other items and a speed boost for a short amount of time.
- Boo: Steals Rings and any items from the character directly in front.
- Bomb: Place several Bombs onto the course that explode after a set amount of time of when skied into, causing any character caught in the explosion to lose speed. Can be thrown backwards.
- Chaos Emerald: Stuns all of the characters ahead of the player and removes their items.
Four players race side by side for first place. Use items wisely to pull into the lead!
- Slide downwards to start!
- Tap left or right of the character to turn!
- Slide downward to crouch for a boost in speed!
- Tap the item slot to use that item!
- Slide upwards to jump!
- Touch and hold the Touch Screen on "2" and
- slide downwards at "GO" for a starting dash!
- Double tap an item slot to aim behind you.
- You can use Bombs and Red Shells backwards.
- Slide upwards on a jump platform to jump dash!
- Red Shell: Goes flying at opponent one place ahead/behind.
- Spiny Shell: Goes flying at opponent in first.
- Barrier: Blocks one enemy attack.
- Super Star: Gives invincibility and speed for a short time.
- Boo: Steals rings and items from opponent ahead.
- Bomb: Explodes after a set time or if touched.
- Chaos Emerald: Strikes opponents ahead and also erases items.
- Ring: Boosts speed. Collect up to ten.