Dream Ski Cross (Individual)
|Dream Ski Cross|
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
|Type||Dream Ski Cross|
Dream Ski Cross is a Dream Ski Cross Dream Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to complete two laps of the course in the fastest time, with the event taking place on Mario Circuit. To unlock this event, the player must reach day 13 in Team Festival mode. The starting record for this event is held by Tails with a time of 2:15.000.
In this event, the player starts by swinging the Wii Remote down when "Go!" appears onscreen. Doing so with perfect timing will allow the player to perform a starting dash and gain a short speed boost, however doing so too late will delay the player's start. The player can turn their character left and right by tilting the Wii Remote in the desired direction, and increase their speed by tilting the Wii Remote forwards to crouch. The player can stop their character by tilting the Wii Remote towards the to brake, and push off again by swinging it down. The player can cause their character to jump by swinging the Wii Remote upwards from a jump platform, and can perform tricks in the air by swinging the Wii Remote in any direction. After enough simple tricks have been performed, trick icons indicating a shape that the Wii Remote should be swung in will appear onscreen, and the player must swing the Wii Remote in that shape to perform a more complicated trick. Tricks can also be performed while airborne from boosted ramps and the Cannon, and the more tricks a player performs while in the air, the greater the speed boost that they will receive when they land. The more complicated tricks will also boost the player's landing speed further. The player can also use their special action, which grants them a short speed boost, by pressing . The player is given one special action at the start of the event, and the special action can be replenished by collecting 5 Coins once it has been used. The course also features Dash Panels, which give the player a short speed boost when hit and also angles the character in the direction of the course and a pair of Warp Pipes which transport the characters to the next section of the course. Goombas, Piranha Plants in Warp Pipes and Chain Chomps also appear as obstacles on the course, and will knock characters over if they hit them. Players can also collect the Item Boxes on the course to gain items which they can use by pressing . The player can obtain the following items:
- Green Shell: Travels straight until it hits something and knocks over any characters that it hits. Can be defended against using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Red Shell: Homes in on the character directly in front of the player and knocks them over when hit. Can be defended against using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Super Star: Grants the character invincibility and a small speed boost for a short amount of time.
- Lightning: Strikes all of the opponents with Lightning causing them to be knocked down. Can be defended against using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Fake Item Box: Can be placed on the track and causes characters who hit it to be flipped over. Can be defended against using a Super Star or Barrier.
- High Speed Shoes: Gives the character a speed boost for a short amount of time.
- Barrier: Indefinitely protects the character against one hit from an item or obstacle.
- Bomb: Causes a bomb to appear in front of each of the opponents that will explode upon contact or after a short amount of time. Can be defended against using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Special Action: Allows the player to use their special action again.
The characters that completes two laps of the course in the fastest time wins the event.
- In the Dream Ski Cross event, players do two laps around a trick-laden course, trying for the shortest time to the finish.
- Enter the cannon, and it will send you flying at tremendous speeds! You can still perform tricks while in mid-flight.
- Make the most out of items and hone your technique to carve out the perfect run!
- Hold the Wii Remote like a ski pole to play.
- Shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, GO!" reaches "GO!" for a starting dash.
- Tilt the Wii Remote left of with to turn. The further you tilt it, the sharper the turn!
- Tilt the Wii Remote forward to crouch down for an increase in speed.
- Twist the Wii Remote while crouching to perform a crouching turn. Crouching turns are less sharp than normal turns.
- Tilt the Wii Remote backwards to brake!
- Swing the Wii Remote upwards when crossing the jump platforms found through the course to perform a big jump.
- To perform tricks, swing the Wii Remote up, down, left, or right in mid-jump!
- When a trick icon pops up on the screen, move the Wii Remote in that shape to do a special trick!
- If you slow down, you can shake the Wii Remote to push off to build up speed again.
- Press to use items.
- The more tricks you pull off after launching from the cannon, the greater the speed boost you'll receive upon landing.
- Crouching as you crest the short hills along the course will keep you from jumping and net you a quick dash!
- Press to use your special action! In the Dream Ski Cross event, special actions can be reused after collecting 5 rings[sic].
- The key to netting the shortest time is carefully choosing the optimal path.
- When thrown, Green Shells travel in a straight line, and will knock down any character they hit.
- Red Shells automatically home in on their target and send the character they hit flying.
- Collect a Super Star to become invincible and move faster than normal for a set time.
- Lightning will strike your opponents and knock them down.
- Fake Item Boxes look just like the real thing, but will knock down anyone who touches them.
- Using High Speed Shoes will boost your speed for a set time, letting you go faster.
- The Barrier shields you from a single attack.
- Collect a Bomb to drop an explosive in front of an opposing player.
- The Special Action item allows you to use your special action again.