Curling (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games for Nintendo DS)
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo DS)|
|Info||Two athletes will take turn sliding their stone towards a series of concentric circles on the playing surface. The aim is to get their stones closest to the centre within the house (circular scoring area) after all 1 stones have been placed on the ice. At the conclusion of each end, the athlete who placed the closest stone will earn a point for every stone closer to the centre of the house than the opponent's closest stone is placed.|
Score points by sliding stones on ice into the center of a circle.
|Controls||Set Target: Touch the destination point|
Throw: Slide up
Sweep: Rub the area diagonally in front of the stone
Curling is a Curling Event that appears in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to score as many points as possible by sliding stones in the house, with the event taking place in the Vancouver Olympic Centre.
In this event, the player selects one character and also has a pair of Chao colored to match their stones on their team. The player plays two matches in this event, one qualifying match to decide their next match's opponent, and then either a third place match if they lost the qualifying one or the final if they won. Each match consists of a number of ends set by the player from one to six, plus one extra if the characters are tied at the end of the final end, with each end consisting of either four or six throws, depending on whether the player is using preset stones. If they are on, the match begins with the starting team deciding which layout of preset stones they would like to use, either a spaced out set or neater semicircle in front of the house consisting of two of each team's stones. The player can then make their first throw by using the Touch Screen to aim their shot by touching where they would like to throw the stone and touching the "OK" button in the top left of the screen. This will also give them a power target for their throw. The layer must then tap the screen to start their throw, and slide upwards before the hog line to throw the stone. The closer they throw to the line, the more power the stone will have and the further it will slide, shown on a gauge on the left hand side of the screen. If the player fails to slide before the line, they will commit a foul and the stone will not be thrown. Once the stone has been thrown, the player can slide in front of it on the screen to cause the Chao to sweep, which allows the player to make adjustments to the stone. Stones can be used to hit other stones, which the Chao can also sweep. The stones are scored based on how close they are to the centre of the house, with all of the stones within the house belonging to the team that has one closest to the centre and closer than the opponent's closest stone being scored as one point each.
Compete for points by throwing stones into a circular target. Score by getting stones closer to the center. The higher-scoring team throws first in the next end.
- If Preset Stones is ON, 2 patterns are shown.
- The starting team can choose with the stylus.
- Set a throwing target by tapping a location.
- Touch OK to confirm the target.
- Tap the Touch Screen to start sliding!
- Throw just before you hit the line!
- Slide upwards to throw the stone! The speed of
- the slide affects the stone's speed.
- Brushing to the diagonal in front of a sliding
- stone will guide it to the left or right.
- You can also sweep stones that you've hit.
- Preset Stones- These four stones can be turned off in Set Rules.
- Stone- The object thrown by the player's character.
- Sweeping- Use the brush to clear the stone's path.
- End- One round in a game with a set throw count.
- House- Get the stone into this blue circle to score.
- Hog Line- Players must throw behind the red line.
Names in other languages