|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
Giant Slalom is an Alpine Skiing Event in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to complete the course in the fastest time, with the event taking place at Whistler Creekside. Daisy appears taking part in this event in the opening, and the starting record is held by Mario with a time of 0:50.000. Toad and Espio appears a referees in this event.
In this event, the player starts by swinging the Wii Remote downwards when "Go!" appears on the screen. If the player swings down with perfect timing, they will receive a speed boost, though if they swing to earl they will perform a slower late start. The player can steer their character by tilting the Wii Remote left and right, and they must aim to pass through the gates along the course. The course features 28 gates to go through, and the player will receive a 2-second penalty for every gate that they miss, but can gain a speed boost by hitting the inside of the flags. The player receives a rating after passing through every gate referring to the number of the gates that they have successfully passed through up until that point, with a "Good!" rating for up to 9, "Nice!" for a number between 10 and 15 inclusive, "Great!" for 19 through to 27, and "Perfect!" for successfully passing through all 28. The player is also told how far they currently are behind the current record after passing through the ninth and fifteenth gates. To gain speed, the player can tilt their Wii Remote forward to crouch, however turns are harder to perform while crouching. They can also slow down and brake by tilting the Wii Remote towards them, and push off again by shaking the Wii Remote once they have come to a halt. The player can also gain a speed boost by pressing , which causes the character to perform their special action and gain a large speed boost for a short amount of time.
- In the Alpine Giant Slalom, players race through flag gates to the finish line.
- Missed gates result in a time penalty, to go through all the gates to get the best possible time.
- Hold the Wii Remote like a ski pole to play.
- Shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, GO!" reaches "GO!" for a starting dash.
- Tilt the Wii Remote left or right to turn. The further you tilt it, the sharper the turn!
- Tilt the Wii Remote forward to crouch for an increase in speed.
- Twist the Wii Remote while crouching to perform a crouching turn. Crouching turns are less sharp than normal turns.
- Tilt the Wii Remote towards you to brake!
- After slowing down, you can shake the Wii Remote to push off to build up speed again.
- Hit the inside of the flag gate as you pass through it for a boost in speed.
- When you see a longer stretch between gates, remember to crouch to shave valuable seconds off your time!
- Press to use your special action and make your character perform a dash.
- You can only use your special action once per race, so make it count!
Names in other languages