Moguls (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games for Wii)
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
Moguls is a Freestyle Skiing Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to score as many points as possible in the fastest time, with the event taking place on Cypress Mountain. Blaze appears taking part in this event in the game's opening, and the starting record for this event is held by Peach with a score of 26.77pt(s).
In this event, the player starts by swinging the Wii Remote down at the end of the countdown. Swinging down too early will result in the character stumbling and performing a slower late start, however swinging down with perfect timing as "Go!" appears will give the character a speed boost. Once the event has started, the player should aim to ski around the moguls by tilting the Wii Remote left and right, causing the character to ski in that direction. The course features 22 moguls in total, six before the first jump, ten between the two jumps and another six after the second jump, giving a total of 22. The player gets a different rank the more moguls they successfully ski around, with a "Good" rank given for up to 6, "Nice" for any amount between 7 and 11 inclusive, "Great" 12 to 21 and "Perfect" for successfully skiing around all 22. The more moguls the player consecutively skis around, the more the character will accelerate, allowing them to achieve a faster time, however skiing over several moguls will cause the character to lose speed significantly. The player will also encounter two jumps on the course, which they can jump off of by swinging the Wii Remote upwards, with a swing closer to the edge of the jump giving the character more air time. Once in the air, the player can perform tricks by swinging the Wii Remote in all four directions. If the player performs three consecutive tricks on the same jump and still has enough air time, they will be prompted to perform another action with the Wii Remote, consisting of them moving it in a specific shape, which if successfully completed will score them extra points. If the player is still performing a trick when landing a jump, they will perform a bad landing and lose speed when doing so. The player can also press the A Button to perform their special action once during the event, which will give their character a large speed boost. At the end of the event, the player is given a score based on the number of turns they performed, their tricks and their speed completing the course. The character with the largest point total wins the event.
- In the Moguls event, players navigate a slope with mounds of snow, competing for turning and mid-air technique and fastest course time.
- Earn points by tuning at turn points between moguls en route to the finish line. Don't forget to perform tricks off the course's jumps!
- Hold the Wii Remote like a ski pole to play.
- Shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, GO!" reaches "GO!" for a starting dash.
- Tilt the Wii Remote left or right to perform a quick 'turn. Alternate back and forth in time to navigate the spaces between moguls!
- The Moguls course contains jump platforms. Swing the Wii Remote upwards to perform a jump and grab some air.
- Swing the Wii Remote up, down, left, or right while in the air to perform different tricks.
- Chain together different tricks in the same jump, and trick commands will appear. Use the Wii Remote to pull off advanced tricks!
- Nail the jump perfectly to make higher-scoring trick commands appear!
- As you pick up turn points, you will accelerate slightly. Collecting multiple turn points in a row will result in a bigger speed boost!
- Press to use your special action to perform a dash! Try to use it where it counts the most!
Names in other languages