Dream Ski Cross (Team)
|Dream Ski Cross|
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
|Type||Dream Ski Cross|
Dream Ski Cross is a Dream Ski Cross Dream Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to complete the course in the fastest combined time as a team, with the event taking place on Mario Circuit. To unlock this event, the player must reach day 13 in Team Festival Mode. The starting record for this event is held by Mario with a time of 10:00.000.
In this event, the player starts by swinging the Wii Remote downwards when the countdown reaches "Go!". Doing so with perfect timing will give the player a starting dash and increasing their initial speed, however swinging down too late will cause the player to have a delayed start. Once the character has started skiing, the player can steer them by tilting the Wii Remote in the direction that they want to move, and can tilt it forward to crouch, causing the character to travel faster but turn slower. The character can also crest small hills for a speed boost while crouching. The player can brake by tilting the Wii Remote towards them, and push off by tilting it away. When the character reaches the end of a jump ramp, the player can swing the Wii Remote upwards to perform a jump, and while in the air can swing the Wii Remote in different directions to perform simple tricks. After performing enough simple tricks, a tick icon will appear that the player must trace the shape of to perform a more complex trick. The more tricks a player performs in the air, the greater their speed boost will be upon landing, with larger boosts given when more complex tricks are performed. Tricks can also be performed after being launched from the Cannon. Players can perform a special action by pressing , which gives the character a brief burst of speed. The player is given one special action at the start of the event, but can gain extra uses by collecting special action items or by collecting five of the Coins scattered along the course. Dash Panels also appear on the course and give the player a small speed boost when passed over, as well as angling the character in a specific direction. The course also features several obstacles, including Piranha Plants in Warp Pipes, which occasionally bite at the players and knock them over, Goombas that slowly walk around areas of the course and cause characters to fall over when hit, a Chain Chomp that lunges out at characters and knocks them over, and deep snow which causes the players to lose speed. Part of the course also features a pair of Warp Pipes, which the player travels through to reach one of two routes on the next section of the course. Item Boxes also appear scattered along the course, which give the player an item when collected that can be used by pressing . The items that can be obtained in the event are:
- Super Star: Gives the player a speed boost and invincibility from the obstacles on the track for a short amount of time.
- High Speed Shoes: Gives the player a speed boost for a limited time.
- Barrier: Protects the player from one attack from an obstacle on the course.
- Special Action: Allows the player to use their special action again.
The course also features Star Team Coins, which grant the whole team the effects of a Super Star when four are collected. Each character gets a separate time for the course, which are added together at the end to find the team with the smallest combined time that wins the event.
- In the Dream Ski Cross event, players do two laps around a trick-laden course, trying for the shortest time to the finish.
- Enter the cannon, and it will send you flying at tremendous speeds! You can still perform tricks while in mid-flight.
- In a team match, you'll compete for the shortest combined team time by adding each member's time.
- Make the most out of items and hone your technique to carve out the perfect run!
- Hold the Wii Remote like a ski pole to play.
- Shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, GO!" reaches "GO!" for a starting dash.
- Tilt the Wii Remote left of with to turn. The further you tilt it, the sharper the turn!
- Tilt the Wii Remote forward to crouch down for an increase in speed.
- Twist the Wii Remote while crouching to perform a crouching turn. Crouching turns are less sharp than normal turns.
- Tilt the Wii Remote backwards to brake!
- Swing the Wii Remote upwards when crossing the jump platforms found through the course to perform a big jump.
- To perform tricks, swing the Wii Remote up, down, left, or right in mid-jump!
- When a trick icon pops up on the screen, move the Wii Remote in that shape to do a special trick!
- If you slow down, you can shake the Wii Remote to push off to build up speed again.
- Press to use items.
- The more tricks you pull off after launching from the cannon, the greater the speed boost you'll receive upon landing.
- Crouching as you crest the short hills along the course will keep you from jumping and net you a quick dash!
- Press to use your special action! In the Dream Ski Cross event, special actions can be reused after collecting 5 rings[sic].
- The key to netting the shortest time is carefully choosing the optimal path!
- Collect a Super Star to become invincible and move faster than normal for a set time.
- Using High Speed Shoes will boost your speed for a set time, letting you go faster.
- The Barrier shields you from a single attack.
- The Special Action item allows you to use your special action again.
- Collect as many Star Team Coins as there are team members to activate the Super Star's effect for all team members!