Snowboard Cross (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games for Wii)
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
Snowboard Cross is a Snowboard Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to complete the course faster than the opponents, with the event taking place on Cypress Mountain. Mario, Wario, Sonic and Dr. Eggman appear taking place in this event in the game's opening, and the starting record for this event is held by Yoshi with a time of 1:02.000. Lakitu appears as a referee in this event.
In this event, the player starts by selecting their snowboarding style from either regular or goofy, which determines the way that the character stands on the snowboard. To start the event, the player must swing the Wii Remote downwards at the end of the countdown when "Go!" appears onscreen. Doing so too early will cause the character to stumble and perform a late start, however doing so with perfect timing will cause the character to perform a starting dash and gain a short boost of speed. Once the event has started, the player can steer their character by tilting the Wii Remote left and right, with sharper turns performed by tilting the remote further in the desired direction. The player can also tilt the Wii Remote downwards to cause their character to crouch and pick up speed. The player can also steer while their character is crouching, but the turns are less sharp. The player can slow down and brake by tilting the Wii Remote back towards them, and can pick up speed by swinging the Wii Remote upwards to perform a nollie. When the player reaches a jump platform, they can swing their Wii Remote upwards to perform a jump. The closer they are to the edge to the ramp when they perform the jump, the more time they will have in the air. Once in the air, the player can perform tricks by swinging the Wii Remote in different directions, which grant the character a speed boost up on landing. The more tricks that the player successfully pulls off while they are in the air, the greater their speed boost will be when they land. However, if the player performs a trick when the character is coming into land, they will crash land and lose speed when they land. The player can also press to perform the character's special action once during the event, which will give them a short boost of speed. The player is told at two different points in the course how far they are behind the current record, and the character that completes the course in the fastest time wins the event.
- In the Snowboard Cross event, four athletes race for the fastest time to the finish line while performing tricks and jumps.
- Running into the snow banks along the course's edges along the way will reduce your speed! Try to outpace your rivals for the best time!
- For the Snowboard Cross event, hold the Wii Remote vertically and tilt it left and right to play.
- At the start of the event, shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, GO!" reaches "GO!" to perform a starting dash.
- Tilt the Wii Remote left or right to turn. The further you tilt it, the sharper the turn!
- Tilt the Wii Remote forward to gain speed! Turning is still possible, but becomes more difficult.
- You can slow down by tilting the Wii Remote backwards.
- After slowing down, you can shake the Wii Remote to perform a nollie and build up speed again.
- To jump, swing the Wii Remote upwards. Time it well to achieve the greatest distance.
- Swing the Wii Remote up, down, left, or right to perform tricks.
- Jump at the last moment when going over a jump platform to get maximum air time. More air means more chances to land tricks!
- The more tricks you pull off, the greater the speed boost you'll receive upon landing.
- Trying to pull off tricks up until the moment you touch down again can lead to crash landings, so keep air time in mind when doing tricks.
- Crouching as you crest the short hills along the course will keep you from jumping and net you a quick dash!
- Press to use your special action and make your character perform a dash! You only get one use per event, so make it count!
Names in other languages