|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
Ski Cross is a Freestyle Skiing Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to complete the course faster than the opponents, with the event taking place on Cypress Mountain. The starting record for this event is held by Mario with a time of 01:00.00. Lakitu and Toad appear as referees in this event.
In this event, the player competes with three other characters on the course to reach the finish line in the fastest time. To start the event, the player most swing the Wii Remote down at the end of the starting countdown. If they o so with perfect timing, they will perform a starting dash, which gives them a large boost of speed, however doing so too early will cause the character to trip and perform a late start. To steer their character, the player must tilt the Wii Remote left and right, with sharper tilts allowing the character to perform tighter turns. They can also cause their character to crouch by tilting the Wii Remote downwards, which cause the character to go at a faster speed. Turns are performed by twisting the Wii Remote while crouching, which allow the character to maintain their current speed but are less sharp. The player can also crouch over small hills in the track, which prevents the character jumping and allows them to clear the obstacle faster, as well as giving an additional speed boost. The player can cause their character to stop by tilting the Wii Remote towards them, and can start moving again by swinging the Wii Remote downwards. The player an also jump by swinging the Wii Remote upwards, which, when performed at the edge of jump platforms, allows the player to perform a longer jump which gives them a larger speed boost. The player can also receive speed boosts by hitting the inside of the flags when cornering and can also gain a larger one by performing their special action, which gives them a large speed boost when they press , but can only be used once during the event. The player is told how far their time is behind the current record at two different points in the event, and the character with the fastest time at the end wins the event.
- In the Ski Cross event, four athletes compete to see who can reach the finish line first.
- Running into the snow bans along the course's edges will reduce your speed! Plot your course carefully to ensure the best time!
- Hold the Wii Remote like a ski pole to play.
- Shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, GO!" reaches "GO!" for a starting dash. Shake too early, though, and you'll trip!
- Tilt the Wii Remote left or right to turn. The further you tilt it, the sharper the turn!
- Tilt the Wii Remote forward to crouch down for an increase in speed.
- Twist the Wii Remote while crouching to perform a crouching turn. Crouching turns are less sharp than normal turns.
- Tilt the Wii Remote backwards to brake!
- After slowing down, you can shake the Wii Remote to push off to build up speed again.
- The course contains jump platforms. Swing the Wii Remote upwards to perform a big jump.
- Hit the inside of a flag gate as you pass through it for a boost in speed.
- Jumping at the last moment when going over a jump platform will also result in a speed boost, gaining you more distance than usual!
- Crouching as you crest the short hills along the course will keep you from jumping and net you a quick dash!
- Press to use your special action to perform a dash! Try to use it where it counts the most!
Names in other languages