Dream Alpine (Individual)
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
Dream Alpine is a Dream Alpine Dream Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to complete the course in the fastest time, with the event taking place on Seaside Hill. To unlock this event, the player must either reach the third day of Festival Mode or the fourth day of Team Festival Mode. The starting record for this event is held by Tails with a time of 2:08.000, and Espio appears as a referee in this event.
In this event, the player starts by swinging the Wii Remote down at the end of the countdown. If they manage to do so with perfect timing, they will receive a speed boost. The player can turn left and right by tilting the Wii Remote in the respective direction, and can perform sharper turns by tilting the Wii Remote further in the desired direction. The player can also crouch by tilting the Wii Remote forwards, which allows them to gain speed but makes turns harder to perform. The player can brake by tilting the Wii Remote upwards towards them, and can push off again by shaking the Wii Remote down again. As well as crouching, the player can gain speed boosts by entering other characters' slipstreams by following them for longer periods of time, and passing though gates. The course features two types of gates, yellow ones that provide a moderate speed boost and are generally easier to reach and ski through, and red ones that provide a larger speed boost but are mainly found in harder to reach locations. The player can gain an even greater speed boost by hitting the inside of the flags while passing through the gates, but loses speed if they hit the outsides of the gates. The number of gates that the player successfully passes through is recorded throughout the event. As well as the flag gates, the course also features Dash Panels, which provide a larger speed boost as well as allowing the character to make their way around the inversions on the course. The course also includes ramps that the player can perform jumps from by shaking the Wii Remote upwards, and can then perform different tricks by swinging the Wii Remote either up, down, left or right. If the player does a large enough jump and performs enough simple tricks, they may be prompted to perform a more complex trick by moving the Wii Remote in the shape shown on the screen. Performing tricks while in the air will grant the player a speed boost upon landing, with more tricks giving a larger boost, but performing a trick too close to the ground will cause the player to lose speed when they hit the ground. The player can also perform jumps by hitting the Springs found on the course. The course also includes several hazards, such as deep snow, which causes the player to lose speed, rolling stones that move in set paths along the course cause the player to lose speed if hit, and Kikis, Egg Pawns and Egg Hammers that move around the course and also cause the player to lose speed if they come into contact. The player can perform a special action which gives them a large speed boost by pressing . The player has a single special action that they can use at the start of the race, but can perform another one if they collect 5 Rings scattered throughout the course or collect a special action item. If the player collects an Item Box, they will receive an item which they can use by pressing . Each item has a different function, and the player receives different items depending on their current placement, with more powerful items being obtained when the player is placed lower. The items the player can receive are:
- Green Shell- Can be thrown straight forward and will knock over any character that they hit, causing them to lose speed. Can be blocked with a Barrier or Super Star.
- Red Shell- Homes in on the opponent directly in front of the player, knocking them over and making them lose speed. Can be blocked with a Barrier or Super Star.
- Super Star- Grants the player temporary invincibility and a speed boost for a limited amount of time.
- Lightning- Strikes all of the opponents with lightning, knocking them over and causing them to lose speed. Can be blocked with a Super Star or Barrier.
- Fake Item Box- Places a Fake Item Box on the track which causes players that Ski into it to be knocked down and lose speed.
- High Speed Shoes- Grants the user a speed boost for a short amount of time.
- Shield- Protects the user from a single attack.
- Bomb- Places a bomb in front of each of the opponents, which explode upon contact and cause any characters caught in the explosion to get knocked over.
- Special Action- Allows the character to perform an additional special action.
The player is told how far they are behind the current record holder's time at two separate places on the course, and the character that completes the course in the fastest time wins the event.
- In the Dream Alpine event, players race down a trick-laden course, passing through flag gates and trying for the shortest time to the finish.
- Passing through gates offers a boost in speed-- a moderate one for yellow gates, and a bigger one for red gates. Ski with an eye on the gates!
- Make the most out of items and hone your technique to carve out the perfect run!
- Hold the Wii Remote like a ski pole to play.
- Shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, GO!" reaches "GO!" for a starting dash.
- Tilt the Wii Remote left or right to turn. The further you tilt it, the sharper the turn!
- Tilt the Wii Remote forward to crouch down for an increase in speed.
- Twist the Wii Remote while crouching to perform a crouching turn. Crouching turns are less sharp than normal turns.
- Tilt the Wii Remote backwards to brake!
- Swing the Wii Remote upwards when crossing the jump platforms found throughout the course to perform a big jump.
- To perform tricks, swing the Wii Remote up, down, left, or right in mid-jump!
- When a trick icon pops up on the screen, move the Wii Remote in that shape to do a special trick!
- If you slow down, you can shake the Wii Remote down to push off to build up speed again.
- Press to use items.
- There are two different kinds of gates: red and yellow. Yellow gates are placed in easy-to-reach locations, but only offer a medium speed bonus.
- Red gates are found in trickier spots, but offer a big burst of speed when passed through.
- You can also hit the inside of a gate as you pass through for a boost in speed.
- Cross dash panels found throughout the course to get a speed boost, or hit a spring to jump. Use the wacky terrain to your advantage!
- The more tricks you pull off after launching into a major jump, the greater the speed boost you'll receive upon landing.
- Press to use your special action! In the Dream Alpine event, special actions can be reused after collecting 5 rings.
- Using special actions wisely and carefully and choosing the optimal path are the keys to netting the shortest time!
- When thrown, Green Shells travel in a straight line, and will knock down any character they hit.
- Red Shells automatically home in on their target and send the character they hit flying.
- Collect a Super Star to become invincible and move faster than normal for a set time.
- Lightning will strike your opponents and knock them down.
- Fake Item Boxes look just like the real thing, but will knock down anyone who touches them.
- Using High Speed Shoes will boost your speed for a set time, letting you go faster.
- The Barrier shields you from a single attack.
- Collect a Bomb to drop an explosive in front of an opposing player.
- The Special Action item allows you to use your special action again.