Dream Ski Jumping (Individual)
|Dream Ski Jumping|
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
|Type||Dream Ski Jumping|
Dream Ski Jumping is a Dream Ski Jumping Dream Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to score as many points as possible, with the event taking place in the Good Egg Galaxy. To unlock this event, the player must either reach the eighth day of Individual Festival Mode or the tenth day of Team Festival Mode. The starting record for this event is held by Mario with a score of 680 pt(s).
In this event, the player starts by swinging the Wii Remote down at the end of the countdown when "Start!" appears onscreen. If the player does so with perfect timing, they will gain a speed boost, allowing them to start before their opponents. Once the player has started, they will travel down a ramp, and must swing the Wii Remote upwards to start their jump. Doing so with better timing will give the player a larger speed boost. Once they are in the air, the player can move their character by tilting the Wii Remote in the direction that they would like to travel, with further tilting allowing faster movement. The player must aim to collect the Star Bits to score points, with green star bits being worth 10 points, purple ones being worth 30 and orange ones being worth 50 points. The player can also follow star lines by moving into them, which carry the characters along a set path at a faster speed and allow them to collect any Star Bits or other items positioned along them. The course also features Bonus panels, which when three are collected will start a short bonus time where each Star Bit collected is worth double the usual point value. However, the bonus panels can be lost if the player hits an obstacle or an opponent's item. The player can also perform their special action by pressing the A Button, which gives them a short burst of speed but can only be used once per event. The course also features Balloons that give the player an item when collected, that the player can use by pressing the B Button. The player can receive the following items:
- Red Shell: Homes in on another character, causing them to lose height, speed, 10 points and a bonus panel when hit. Can be defended against using a Barrier.
- Lightning: Strikes all of the opponents, causing them to lose height, speed, 10 points and a bonus panel. Can be defended against with a Barrier.
- High Speed Shoes: Gives the player a speed boost for a short amount of time.
- Barrier: Protects the player from one attack from another character's item.
- Bomb: Places a Bomb in front of an opponent, causing them to lose height, speed, 10 points and a bonus panel if they are caught in the explosion. Can be protected against using a Barrier.
- Special Action: Allows the player to use their special action again.
At the end of the event, the player must land on the star-shaped landing pad by swinging the Wii Remote downwards. The player will earn a different amount of points depending on which area of the star that they land on, going from 20 to 40, 60, 80 and 100, with the area of each of the associated points scores getting smaller the higher the number of points. If the player misses the star or falls off, they will fall into a Black hole and will not gain any bonus points.
- In the Dream Ski Jump event, players fly through space, collecting Star Bits and competing for the highest total score.
- Go for the highest-scoring Star Bits and be sure to grab any bonus panels to rack up the best score!
- Shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, START!" reaches "START!" for a start dash.
- Swing the Wii Remote upwards at the edge of the jump platform to perform a jump.
- Tilt the Wii Remote up, down, left, and right to move the character in mid-jump.
- When a spot you can land on approaches, an icon will appear. Shake the Wii Remote to drop down and land.
- Press to use items.
- Collect three bonus panels and you'll trigger a bonus period that gives you a double on every point panel you collect!
- But watch out! Take attacks from opponents or collide with obstacles, and you'll lose bonus panels!
- You can also earn points when landing. Different landing spots are who different amounts, so aim for the landing spot worth the most!
- Touch a star line found on the course to travel along it, collecting any Star Bits along the way!
- Press to perform a special action! Use it for a quick burst of speed that will put you out ahead of the pack.
- Red Shells automatically home in on their target and sent the character they hit flying.
- Lightning will strike your opponents and knock them down.
- Using High Speed Shoes will boost your speed for a set time, letting you go faster.
- The Barrier shields you from a single attack.
- Collect a Bomb to drop an explosive in front of an opposing player.
- The Special Action item allows you to use your special action again.
Shadow competing in Dream Ski Jumping