Ice Hockey (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games for Wii)
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
Ice Hockey is an Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to score more points than the opponents, with the event taking place in the Canada Hockey Place. Wario, Waluigi, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Blaze, Knuckles, Dr. Eggman, and Vector appear competing in this event in the game's opening, and Charmy appears as a referee in this event.
In this event, the player starts by playing a qualifying match, which, if they lose, means that the event will be over, however of they win they will proceed to a final match for the gold medal. The event consists of a set number of periods, with the characters swapping ends of the rink each time. Each half and after each goal has been scored starts with a face off to gain control of the puck. This consists of Charmy dropping the puck, after which the player must press before the opponent to gain control of the puck. Once the event has started, the player can move their character using , and will automatically switch characters to the one closest to the puck, but can also switch manually by pressing . If the player successfully gains control of the puck, they can pass it to the others on their team by pressing and using to set the direction they would like to shoot the puck. If the player successfully passes the puck between their teammates multiple times, the puck will become charged and will allow the player to make more powerful shots to score goals. The player can make shots by shaking the Wii Remote and using to set the angle of their shot. If the player manages to get the puck past the goalie and into the goal, they will score a point and a puck toss will happen to restart the match. While defending, the player can steal pucks from the opponents by pressing , and perform body checks that cause the character affected by them to lose the puck by shaking the Wii Remote. If a character is hit by too many body checks, they will become dizzy for a short while and have more limited movement during the time. The player can also defend goal shots by pressing when the puck reaches the goalie, but also has the chance of defending using the goalie's body, which, if done enough, will also make them dizzy. If the player successfully defends the goal, the goalie will return the puck to a character on their team. The team with the most points at the end of all of the periods wins the match.
In this event, the player can set the number of periods to either 2 or 3.
- In Ice Hockey, teams of four players each compete to see who can score the most goals before time runs out.
- Pass the puck to build up teamwork energy for a power shot! Work together as a team to win.
- The game begins with a puck toss.
- After the FACE OFF! signal, the puck will be tossed in. Press just as it hits the ice.
- To pass, hold the +Control Pad in the direction you'd like to pass and press .
- Shake the Wii Remote to shoot. The more energy is stored up in the puck, the harder the shot will be.
- When on defense, press to steal the puck from the character who has it.
- When on defense, shake the Wii Remote to body check! It's a fast move, but can leave you vulnerable afterwards.
- When on defense, press to take control of the character nearest to the puck.
- When blocking a shot, the goalie will move to meet the oncoming puck.
- Press in time with your opponent's shot to catch the puck.
- Pucks can also be blocked with the goalie's body, but taking too may shots will make you dizzy, so be careful
- Pass the puck to charge it with energy. Shoot a charged puck, and you'll perform a powerful shot depending on your character's type!
- Your opponent can steal a charged puck and use it against you, so keep a close eye on the other side while passing!
- Hold up or down on the +Control Pad while shooting to control the direction of the shot.
- Aim for the direction the goalie isn't defending to score more goals!
- Block too many shots or take body checks and you'll get dizzy.
- Dizzy characters' movement is limited, so try to avoid it whenever possible.
Names in other languages
|French||hockey sur glace||Ice hockey|
|Italian||Hockey su ghiaccio||Ice hockey|
|Spanish||Hockey sobre hielo||Ice hockey|