Dream Snowboard Cross (Individual)
|Dream Snowboard Cross|
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
|Type||Dream Snowboard Cross|
Dream Snowboard Cross is a Dream Snowboard Cross Dream Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to complete the course in the fastest time, with the event taking place on Radical Highway. To unlock this event, the player must reach day 16 of Festival Mode or day 12 of Team Festival Mode. The starting record for this event is held by Shadow with a time of 2:20.000.
Before the event starts, the player can select which foot the character has forward on the snowboard, though this has little impact on the gameplay. The player starts by swinging the Wii Remote downwards at the end of the countdown, and can perform a starting dash by swinging the Wii Remote down with perfect timing, though will have a delayed start by swinging down too late. Once the character starts moving down the course, the player can steer them left and right by tilting the Wii Remote in the respective directions. The player can tilt the Wii Remote down to cause the character to crouch, allowing them to travel faster but will be harder to turn, though the character can also crest small hills for a speed boost by crouching. The Wii Remote can be tilted towards the player to brake, and shaken down when the character has stopped to perform a nollie and start moving again. When the character reaches the end of a ramp, the player can swing the Wii Remote upwards to cause them to jump from, with greater distances being achieved by jumping closer to the end of the ramp. When in the air, players can perform basic tricks by swinging the Wii Remote in various directions, and will receive a greater speed boost upon landing the more that they perform. Advance tricks can be triggered by pressing , which cause a shape that the player must make with the Wii Remote to appear onscreen, and successfully performing the trick will give the player a larger speed boost upon landing. If the player is still performing tricks when the character is landing, they will instead perform a crash landing and lose speed instead. Tricks can also be performed when the player is going downwards after being launched from a Spring, which causes characters to jump larger distances, and when jumping from the end of a grind rail. Players can use grind rails by jumping and landing on them, and must balance their character by tilting the Wii Remote to stay on them. Characters travel faster on grind rails, but will lose speed if they fall off them. Characters also gain speed when passing over Dash Panels. The course contains a variety of obstacles the can cause the player to lose speed and potentially fall over when hit, each with different properties. Egg Pawns simply walk around and will knock players over, Egg Hammers walk around more slowly and also swing a hammer at the player, knocking over any characters that they hit, deep snow simply slows the player down while they travel though it, Golas knock over any players that hit them, and road barriers will slow down players that collide with them, though can be knocked down. The player can perform special actions by pressing , which causes them to gain a short speed boost, and while can only be performed once initially, the player can perform another one by collecting five Rings that can be found on the course, or by collecting a special action item. The player can also collect the Item Boxes on the course and press to use them. The boxes contain nine different items with a variety of effects:
- Green Shell: Travels straight forward and knocks down any characters it hits. Can be blocked using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Red Shell: Homes in on the opponent directly in front of the player. Can be blocked using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Super Star: Grants the player a speed boost and invincibility from items and obstacles for a short amount of time. Egg Pawns hit when using the star will be destroyed, and hitting other player will knock them over.
- Lightning: Strikes all of the opponents and knocks them down. Can be blocked using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Fake Item Box: Can be left behind the player on the course and causes any characters who hit it to be knocked down. Can be blocked using a Super Star or Barrier.
- High Speed Shoes: Gives the player a speed boost for a short amount of time.
- Barrier: Indefinitely protects the player from one attack from an item or obstacle on the course.
- Bomb: Drops a Bomb in front of each of the opponents, which explodes after a short amount of time or when hit. Any characters caught in the explosion will be knocked down. Can be blocked using a Super Star or Barrier.
- Special Action: Allows the character to use their special action again.
The character that completes the course in the fastest time wins.
- In the Dream Snowboard Cross event, four racers carve and jump their way through a course full of loops and tricks as quickly as possible.
- Use the jump platforms found throughout the course to get air and land tricks for a speed boost to leave rivals in your wake!
- In this event, hold the Wii Remote vertically and tilt it left and right to play.
- At the start of the event, shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, GO!" reaches "GO!" to perform a starting dash.
- Tilt the Wii Remote left or right to turn. The further you tilt it, the sharper the turn!
- Tilt the Wii Remote forward to gain speed! Turning is still possible, but becomes more difficult.
- You can slow down by tilting the Wii Remote backwards.
- After slowing down, you can shake the Wii Remote to perform a nollie and build up speed again.
- To jump, swing the Wii Remote upwards. Time it well to achieve the greatest distance.
- Swing the Wii Remote up, down, left, or right to perform tricks.
- Press the +Control Pad and a command will appear. Move the Wii Remote as indicated to perform an advanced trick!
- Press to use items.
- Jump at the last moment when going over a jump platform to get maximum air time. More air means more chances to land tricks!
- The more tricks you pull off, the greater the speed boost you'll receive upon landing.
- Trying to pull off tricks up until the moment you touch down again can lad to crash landings, so keep air time in mind when doing tricks.
- You can jump onto bridge support ropes and other rails to perform a grind. Be careful to keep your balance while grinding!
- Press to use your special action for a quick speed boost!
- In this event, special actions can be reused after collecting 5 rings, so collect as many as you can along the way.
- When thrown, Green Shells travel in a straight line, and will knock down any character they hit.
- Red Shells automatically home in on their target and send the character they hit flying.
- Collect a Super Star to become invincible and move faster than normal for a set time.
- Lightning will strike your opponents and knock them down.
- Fake Item boxes look just like the real thing, but will knock down anyone who touches them.
- Using High Speed Shoes will boost your speed for a set time, letting you go faster.
- The Barrier shield you from a single attack.
- Collect a Bomb to drop an explosive in front of an opposing player.
- The Special Action item allows you to use your special action again.
Donkey Kong competing in Dream Snowboard Cross
Daisy competing in Dream Snowboard Cross
An Egg Hammer in Dream Snowboard Cross