|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Wii)|
Downhill is an Alpine Skiing Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to complete the course in the fastest time, with the event taking place at Whistler Creekside. Shadow appears taking part in this event during the opening, and the starting record for this event is held by Sonic with a time of 1:35.000. Toad, Charmy and Espio appear as referees in this event.
In this event, the player starts by swinging the Wii Remote downwards when "Go!" appears onscreen. The player receives a starting speed boost if they swing down with good timing, with better timing awarding larger speed boosts, and are told if their swing was too early or too late. Once the event starts, the character will crouch and accelerate automatically, and the player must steer the character by tilting the Wii Remote left and right, aiming to steer their character in between the pairs of flags along the course. The player is awarded a two second penalty for each set of flags they fail to ski between, and can gain a speed boost by hitting the inside of the flag. There are 36 flags on the course in total, an as the player goes through each gate, they will be given a rating based on their current total number of gates passed through. They will initially receive a "Good!" rating for up to twelve gates, "Nice!" for any amount between 13 and 24, "Great!" for a total between 25 and 35, and "Perfect!" for going through all 36. The player can cause their character to slow down and brake by tilting the Wii Remote backwards, and start again by tilting it forwards. The player can also perform a special action by pressing , which gives the character a large boost of speed for a short amount of time, but can only be used once per race. After the ninth, eighteenth and twenty-seventh gates, the player will be told how far they are behind the current record holder's time.
- In the Alpine Downhill, players race through flag gates to the finish line.
- Missed gates result in a time penalty, so go through all the gates to get the best possible time!
- Hold the Wii Remote like a ski pole to play.
- Shake the Wii Remote when the count of "3, 2, 1, GO!" reaches "GO!" for a starting dash.
- In the Downhill event, athletes automatically adopt a crouching position for greater speed.
- Tilt the Wii Remote left or right to turn. The further you tilt it, the sharper the turn!
- Tilt the Wii Remote backwards to brake!
- After slowing down, you can shake the Wii Remote to push off to build up speed again.
- Hit the inside of the gate as you pass through for a boost in speed.
- Press to use your special action and make your character perform a dash.
- You can only use your special action once per race, so make it count!
Names in other languages
|Italian||Discesa Libera||Free Descent|