|Super Mario Bros. Wonder
|Summons a swarm of Gnawshers that chase the players
|<< Directory of levels >>
Gnawsher Lair is a course in Super Mario Bros. Wonder. It is found in the Petal Isles. To access this course, Petal Isles Flying Battleship must be completed. This course primarily features Gnawshers. Clearing this course does not unlock any new courses. The difficulty is three stars, and the course houses two Wonder Seeds.
The players start in an area where there are two rows of Candy Blocks with lone ? Blocks part of those rows. A sleeping Goomba is on the top row, which falls down due to a Gnawsher eating the block it is on. Another Gnawsher then eats the fallen Goomba. This is to showcase the abilities of the Gnawshers. The path ahead has more rows of Candy Blocks, where more sleeping Goombas lie. Gnawshers fly in from the right side of the screen, eating anything that comes their way. What follows is a Goombrat before a cave section with lots of climbable vines and more Gnawshers flying from the right. These vines are below a large pit, with a few floating platforms that move up and down above the pit. At the end of the cave is the Checkpoint Flag.
Beyond the Checkpoint Flag are more Gnawshers that fly in various directions. There is also a ? block containing the Wonder Flower, but the players must react quickly to get it before a Gnawsher eats the ? Block, preventing the players from obtaining the Wonder Flower. After the Wonder Flower is collected, the Wonder Effect starts, summoning a huge swarm of Gnawshers that chase the players from the left. The screen also autoscrolls, but the Gnawshers are faster than the autoscrolling. The only way to hinder the Gnawsher swarm is to have them collide with a Red POW Block, whether it be them colliding with one or having a player throw one at them. This will temporarily stun the Gnawsher swarm, buying the players more time to escape. The players must traverse more Gnawshers and some more sleeping Goombas while trying to cross many gaps to stay ahead of the swarm. Lots of Red POW Blocks are on the path, allowing for many opportunities to stun the Gnawsher swarm. A Wow Bud in a Brick Block causes vines and Small Flower Coins to appear at one part. The Wonder Seed is found atop a Candy Block staircase, and collecting it will make the Gnawsher swarm disappear and make the autoscrolling end. The Goal Pole is found beyond another Candy Block staircase, but the players must act quickly if they want reach the top of the Goal Pole, as Gnawshers will eat the Candy Blocks from below.
- 10-flower coin 1: Early on in the course are a row of Wow Buds. The farthest one to the right has the 10-flower coin, but the players must hurry before a Gnawsher eats the block it is on, causing the Wow Bud to fall.
- 10-flower coin 2: A ? Block below the first Talking Flower releases Propeller Flowers when struck. This Propeller Flowers take the players to an area high above where five Goombrats are, as well as a pipe that infinitely spawns Red Gnawsher that home in on the nearest thing. The players must defeat all five Goombrats by either defeating them themselves or by tricking the Gnawsher into eating them. After all five Goombrats are defeated, the 10-flower coin appears in the center, surrounded by a ring of Coins.
- 10-flower coin 3: Found in the climbable vine area. The 10-flower coin is floating above a pit, between floating platforms.
Talking Flower quotes
- "Yikes, be careful!" (before the climbable vines)
- "I bet you'd be considered a delicacy..."
- "Feel like you're missing something?" (past the Wonder Flower if it has not been collected or if a Gnawsher ate the ? Block it is in)
- "Wonder if they ate it..."
- "You know..." (before the Goal Pole)
- "I wouldn't hang out here, if I were you."
- "I warned ya." (After the Gnawshers eat all the blocks of the staircase)
Names in other languages
Shokuyoku ōsei Gashi-gashi no hora ana
|Voracious Gnawshers' cave
|Happs und du bist weg!
|Gnawshers and you're out!