|The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! episode|
|Airdate||November 8, 1989 (English) |
November 28, 1990 (French)
|Writer(s)||David Bennett Carren|
J. Larry Carroll
|Plumber's Log #||19-50|
|King Koopa's alter-ego||Koopa the Cool|
|Cover song(s)||"Rock Around the Clock"|
|Replacement song(s)||"Motor City"|
|Title reference||Elvis Lives|
|Live-action segment||"Home Radio"|
|<< List of episodes >>|
Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Princess Toadstool travel to Sock Hop Land in search of the music king Elvin Parsley. They first ask a Toad where to find Elvin. The Toad gives a response heavily steeped in 50's slang that Mario and the others cannot understand. Suddenly, every Toad in the town starts to get scared. As Mario and the others turn around, they see a group of greaser Goombas with King Koopa in a red convertible following behind. Every Toad then runs for cover. The Goombas and King Koopa stop in front of Elvin's recording studio and replace his picture on a billboard with King Koopa's picture that says, "King Koopa, King of Sock Hop Land". Koopa then sees Princess Toadstool and goes after her. Mario grabs the Princess and runs with Luigi and Toad into an alley. They find a dumpster and push it into the Goombas and King Koopa pursues them.
Mario and the others walk into a neighborhood and find Elvin's mansion, Parsley Land. As they enter the mansion, they hear the song "Jailhouse Rock" play. They also hear a sound coming from a closet. In it they find Elvin's blue suede shoes that talk.
The boots lead Mario and the others to King Koopa's hideout, the Half Life Malt Shop. As Mario and Luigi peek inside, they see many Goombas seated at tables with a stage at the back. Mario, Luigi, and Toad sneak onto the stage and play music to distract the Goombas while Princess Toadstool and Elvin's boots go to find Elvin Parsley. They find him in a freezer, frozen solid. Before the Princess could put the boots back onto Elvin's feet, King Koopa kidnaps her. As Mario, Luigi, and Toad play, King Koopa grabs Toad. Mario then starts a food fight to distract King Koopa and saves Toad. They run out of the malt shop, food still flying everywhere. Koopa comes after them, but he slips on a banana.
Later, King Koopa, with Princess Toadstool, drives his red convertible into town to show off. He drives past an alley where Mario, Luigi, Toad, and Elvin's boots are hiding. After a long time of thinking up a plan, Mario finally says that they should make a hot rod of their own to go after Koopa. They find an old truck and start fixing it. Luigi took the job of pumping up a tire. The tire then got too big and blew up, transforming the truck into a hot rod.
Mario and the others caught up with King Koopa and drove in circles around him. Luigi grabbed the Princess and they drove off. Mario then saw the Goombas charging toward them. One of them then kicks a Bob-Omb at them and blows up a tire, spinning them out of control. The car crashes and blows up into many pieces. Mario and Luigi find a field of Fire Flowers and they turn themselves into Fire Mario and Fire Luigi. They attack the Goombas with fire balls making them run away. Then Mario and Luigi go after King Koopa and drive his car off a cliff.
With Koopa gone, Mario and the others go back to the malt shop and free Elvin Parsley. Mario and Luigi go outside to tell everyone that the king is back. The Toads come out of their hiding places and come to hear Elvin sing. Mario asks if he could play with Elvin. Knowing that Mario plays horribly, Luigi, Toad, and Princess Toadstool yell, "NO!", much to Mario's dismay.
- Princess Toadstool
- Kool Koopa
- Mushroom people
- Greaser Goombas
- Elvin Parsley
- Elvin Parsley's blue suede shoes
- Lou Albano — Mario, citizen #2
- Danny Wells — Luigi, citizen #3, Goomba #2
- Jeannie Elias — Princess Toadstool, citizen #5, feminen sounding mushroom boy
- John Stocker — Toad, citizen #1, Goomba #1
- Harvey Atkin — King Bowser Koopa, citizen #4, Goomba #3
- Robert Bocksteale — Goomba #4, citizen #6
- Marla Lukofsky — citizen #8
- Dorian Joe Clark — citizen #7
- Rob Cowan — Elvin Parsley, citizen #9
- Denise Pidgeon — citizen #10
Animation and continuity errors
- When Princess Toadstool saw that Elvin Parsley was frozen in ice, she said he was turned into stone.
- When Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Toad were following the shoes out of the mansion, Toad was not shown.
- When Mario, Luigi, Princess Toadstool, and Toad walking at the beginning of the episode, Princess Toadstool's broach was not colored correctly.
- At the beginning of the episode, when it shows Elvin Parsley on a sign, the words "Elvin Parsley" had no color, but when the Goombas took it down, the words were colored red and blue.
- Mario and Luigi's caps have no symbols throughout shots in the episode.
- When Kool Koopa was driving away with Princess Toadstool, she had no crown on her head.
- When the Goombas were clapping for the Toadstool Trio, one of the Goombas' hats was flashing.
- Netflix: With Toad and the Princess in tow, Mario and Luigi travel to Sock Hop Land, where they learn that music royalty Elvin Parsley is in trouble.
Names in other languages
|French||Quelle Drole d'Histoire||What a Funny Story|
- The episode title references a discredited conspiracy theory that was popular at the time of the episode's airing, which falsely claimed that Elvis Presley didn't die in 1977, but rather just went into hiding and was still alive, based on alleged inconsistencies with Presley's official death certificate. Had Presley indeed lived, he would be 54 when the episode first premiered in 1989.
- Parsley Land is a parody of Elvis' home, Graceland.
- When the curtain goes up, Mario and Luigi are shown how they are on The Best of the Super Mario Bros. Super Show! DVD cover.
- When Elvin Parsley is unfrozen at the end of the episode, he exclaims, "OW! I FEEL GOOD!" This is a line from the song "I Got You (I Feel Good)" by James Brown, despite the fact that Elvin is based on Elvis Presley.
- The Super Mario Bros. Super Show!. Netflix. Retrieved June 23, 2020.