Oil Drum Alley
|Oil Drum Alley|
|Level code||5 - 1|
|World||Kremkroc Industries, Inc.|
|Game||Donkey Kong Country|
|Music track||Fear Factory|
|<< Directory of levels >>|
Oil Drum Alley is the twenty-third level of Donkey Kong Country and the first level of the Kremkroc Industries, Inc. It is a factory level featuring oil drums as the main obstacle, both on land and over abysses. Sometimes, Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong can only get across abysses by jumping from oil drums while their flames are out. There are some TNT Drums in the level, and the Kongs can use them to destroy a TNT Drum. Enemies in the level include bouncing Kritters, Gnawties, and Manky Kongs. Just after the Continue Barrel, the Kongs can open a animal crate to ride Rambi for the rest of the level.
At the beginning of the level, the Kongs can find a Gnawty walking on a cylindrical platform with a rope hanging next to it. After passing a TNT Drum in a gap, they can find a pair of Kritters hopping up some stairs. The first DK Barrel here wobbles at the edge of a ledge nearby. An oil drum with a hot flame on it stands in front of the ledge. Two Kritters hop in an area below it, moving away from a small gap with the letter K above it. An oil drum sits on a raised platform ahead that the Kongs can only get onto if they use a bouncy tire. The primates can find some stair-like structures ahead with a trio of Gnawties on them. A ledge is at the end of this area. If the duo drops down it, they can find a tire that can be used to jump over an oil drum at a higher elevation.
Another tire follows this drum with a second oil drum after it. Once they hop over this, they come up a small stairway with bananas along it. Stair-like structures lead farther down the area ahead. Gnawties are on some of the stairs, and an oil drum is on every other ledge. A DK Barrel is located in the ground after the last stair platform. The two friends can find a small gap nearby with a Kritter hopping next to it on some smaller stairs. It is followed by a Blast Barrel that shoots the heroes onto a high area. Here, the primates can find sets of small stairs leading towards a flat pathway with a few oil drums on it. Kritters jump up the stairs. The duo soon comes up to the flat pathway, supporting four separate oil drums with flames shooting out of them. The letter O hovers above the last drum, and Kritters attack the primates as they cross the area. The level's Continue Barrel is ahead on a raised platform.
If the heroes continue, they can find an oil drum on a cylindrical platform. It is followed by a gap that has an animal crate with Rambi, and another area with a cylindrical platform and a Manky Kong. After passing a gap next to the ape enemy, the heroes run up a flight of stairs with a pair of Kritters near the top of them. If they drop off of the ledge at the top of the stairs, they can find a Manky Kong standing on a raised platform shaped like a cylinder. Two Kritters approach this platform, trying to attack the Kongs. Farther ahead, Donkey and Diddy can find an oil drum floating above an alcove. They can use the drum to reach a higher ledge with two more Manky Kongs on it. Both of the foes stand on dark, cylindrical platforms. A pit is ahead with an oil drum in the center of it. The drum is required to cross the gap, but it can only be jumped on when its flame is out.
The Kongs can find a Kritter and another pit on the other side of this abyss. As before, an oil drum must be used to cross it and reach a tall platform with a DK Barrel on it. An abyss much wider than the previous is located nearby with two oil drums in it. When the flames on the oil drums fade, they must use them to cross. Two Kritters attack the primates upon accessing the opposite end of the pit. A gap that must be crossed with an oil drum follows. Once it is crossed, the Kongs can find a stairway leading up to a Manky Kong, who hurls an unlimited supply of barrels at them. After dropping down a small ledge placed after the enemy, the heroes find a large abyss and a sign that indicates that the level is near complete. Several oil drums fill the gap, and the Kong must watch the pattern that the flames go out on with them; the flames only slightly diminish most of the time, but then they disappear long enough for the Kongs to cross safely. A few tires are also scattered in the pit to help the heroes pass the abyss as well. Once the two friends cross the pit, they can find a pathway leading to the exit.
The following enemies appear in the following quantities:
Items and objects
The following items and objects appear in the following quantities:
- K: The letter K is above a pit next to the second pair of bouncing Kritters.
- O: The letter O is hovering high above an oil drum, just before the Continue Barrel. The Kongs can reach it by either bouncing from a Kritter or a round tire.
- N: The letter N is at the end of the fourth Bonus Level where the Kongs blast from some Barrel Cannons.
- G: The Kongs must stand on the last oil drum while it is not on fire and then jump onto a cache to release the letter G.
Oil Drum Alley has four Bonus Levels, listed by their type in the Game Boy Advance version:
- Collect the Bananas!:At the start of the level, the Kongs must jump on a circular platform and then at the rope on the left. When the rope stops moving, the Kongs must jump off and land on a small marking on the ground. When they do so, a TNT Drum comes out of the ground. The Kongs must pick it up and throw it at the first oil drum. After blowing it up, the Kongs can drop into the thin gap below to access a Blast Barrel that takes them to the Bonus Level. The Bonus Level is almost the exact same as Snow Barrel Blast's second Bonus Level, as the Kongs must shoot from a rapidly spinning Barrel Cannon to collect the bananas above. Aside from the factory background, the only difference is that a Life Balloon is above the bananas instead of a K-O-N-G Letter. To return into the main level, the Kongs must miss the Barrel Cannon and fall into the gap below.
- Stop the Barrel!: After bouncing on the first three Gnawties, the Kongs must land onto a small mark on the floor below to reveal a TNT Drum. They must carry it left and blast it into the wall to enter the Bonus Level. There, the Kongs must match an item between three roulette-like barrels. After doing so, the Kongs are rewarded with that item and can leave the area.
- Spell it Out!: The third Bonus Level is unique because it is accessed from a Bonus Level itself. In the second Bonus Level, the Kongs must match a banana on all three barrels for a barrel to be their reward. Donkey Kong or Diddy must pick up the barrel and jump with it into the wall on the right (while avoiding the silver plating on the floor) to break open an entrance into the third Bonus Level. The Kongs must not throw the barrel, otherwise the Bonus Level ends prematurely. In the third Bonus Level, the Kongs must jump at several rotating letters to spell out "DONKEY KONG COUNTRY". Correctly spelling the first word rewards them with a Life Balloon, the second word gives them a 2-Up Balloon, and the third word gives them a Blue Balloon. After completing or failing the challenge, the Kongs are redirected back into the main level.
- Find the Exit!: After the Continue Barrel, the Kongs must defeat the second Manky Kong and pick up the barrel that was next to it. They must continue carrying it, passing two bouncing Kritters along the way, until reaching an oil drum in the air. The Kongs must throw the barrel at a wall right of the oil drum to open a passage. The Kongs can alternatively have Rambi break open the entrance with his horn. In the Bonus Level, the Kongs must blast through six Barrel Cannons. They can collect some bananas along the way, including the letter N at the end.
| Fear Factory - The theme that plays in factory levels in Donkey Kong Country||File info|
| Factory Friction - The theme that plays in factory levels in Donkey Kong Country Returns||File info|
| Frozen Frenzy - The theme that plays in Frozen Frenzy in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze||File info|
Names in other languages
|French||Allée du Tambour (SNES)
Allée Huileuse (GBC)
Allée Baril (GBA)
|Drum (instrument) Alley|
Drum (container) Alley
|German||Oelfaß Boulevard (SNES)
|Oil Barrel Boulevard|
|Italian||Via d'Oro Nero||Street of Black Gold|
|Spanish||Pasadizo Aceitoso||Oily Passage|