Go to Town for the Red Coins
|Go to Town for Red Coins (N64) / Go to Town for the Red Coins (DS)|
|Game||Super Mario 64 / Super Mario 64 DS|
|<< Directory of missions >>|
Go to Town for Red Coins is the fifth mission of Wet-Dry World in Super Mario 64 and Super Mario 64 DS. The mission is renamed Go to Town for the Red Coins in the DS version to make it more grammatically correct. The mission's objective is to collect the eight Red Coins in the downtown area.
There are two ways to get to the downtown area. One way is making the water level rise as high as possible by jumping into the painting at its highest point; by doing this, the water level will be high enough to jump over the tall mesh fence in front of the player's starting position. Another way is to use the cannon on the opposite corner of the course and fire in through the top of the fence. The level's Bob-omb Buddy is located on an isolated platform in the sky. It can be reached by triple-jumping, backward-somersaulting, or side-somersaulting from a nearby floating platform when the water is set to its highest level.
In the DS version of the game, there are two additional ways available: Playing as Luigi, the player can use his Power Flower ability to phase through the fence. Playing as Mario, the player can use his Power Flower ability to float over the fence. Once behind the fence, the player needs to swim down through the tunnel into the downtown area. The Bob-omb Buddy in this version is relocated near the highest Crystal Tap.
Once in the downtown area, the player needs to swim directly downward and activate the Crystal Tap to lower the water. All of the Red Coins, aside from one, are in blocks the player has to break. These are the locations of the Red Coins:
- On top of the small building in the plaza (this Red Coin is the only one not inside a block)
- On the stairs leading to the aforementioned building
- Two Red Coins are on top of the wall surrounding the plaza, on both sides of the gap.
- On the roof of a brown building
- On the roofs of two grey buildings, one of which has a red roof
- On the roof of a white building, which can be accessed by using consecutive Wall Kicks between the fence with the Star for Quick Race Through Downtown! and the building itself, or a jump from the top of a tree to the roof
To get to two of the Red Coins on top of the buildings directly in front of the downtown's entrance, the player needs to use either Mario's Wall Kick or Luigi's Backward Somersault. The player can also climb a tree in the garden with the yellow block and perform a Backward Somersault from the top of it onto the grey building's roof. The player can jump to some of the other rooftops from the plaza walls. Once all eight Red Coins are collected, the Power Star appears at the Star Marker in the plaza.
Names in other languages
Dauntaun no Aka Koin
|Downtown Red Coins|
Xiǎozhèn lǐ de 8-méi Hóngsè Yìngbì
|8 Red Coins in the Small Town|
|French||Pièces rouges: ville engloutie (SM64)
Pièces rouges en ville (SM64 DS)
|Red Coins: Sunken Town|
Red Coins in Town
|German||Finde die 8 roten Münzen! (SM64)
Ein Ort der roten Münzen (SM64 DS)
|Find the 8 Red Coins!|
A Place of Red Coins
|Italian||Monete Rosse in Città||Red Coins in the City|
Dauntaun ui redeu koin
|Red Coins at the Downtown|
|Spanish||El rojo brillo de la ciudad||The Red Shine of the City|
- Cell, Josh (May 5, 2015) Super Mario 64 -  - Wet-Dry World: Go To Town For Red Coins. YouTube. Retrieved November 28, 2020.
- From the score sheet and the star menu of Super Mario 64 DS as localized by iQue.