Singles (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games for Nintendo DS)
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo DS)|
|Info||Use your bat to bounce the ball across the net into your opponent's court and win a point if they fail to return it or allow it to bounce twice. Each player takes a turn serving twice. The event will be in a four player tournament. The winners move onto the finals, while the losers will play each other for third place.|
|Controls||Toss and serve: A/B/Y Button.|
Move: Left and right on the Control Pad.
Return: A/B/Y Button.
Singles is a Table Tennis Event that appears in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. It is set in the Peking University Gymnasium. The objective of the event is to score more points than the opponent.
In this event, the player plays two matches, the first of which is against a random opponent, with the opponent in the second one being decided by their placing in the first. If the player wins the first match, they will compete against the other winning character in the championship match, whereas if they lose the first match they will play the other losing character in the third place match. At the start of each match, one of the characters will serve the ball, with the service changing every two points. To serve the ball, the player must press either , , or to toss the ball, and then must press again when the ball is at the right height to make the serve. If they hit with the wrong timing, the ball will drop onto the floor and the opponent will gain a point. To return the ball, the player must first move their character so that they are close enough to the ball to hit it by pressing left and right on . The player can then either press to return with a straight shot, to return the ball with a slight spin to the right, or to spin it slightly to the left. The ball's direction can also be changed by pressing left and right on . If the player performs a straight shot on the ball with the right timing, they will return a much faster smash shot, indicated by the ball gaining a red trail. To score a point, the player must either hit the ball past their opponent or make it bounce twice on their side of the table. The player must score the required number of points to win the game, and the required number of games to win the match, however if both characters have one less than the required number of points in a match, there will be a deuce and one character must score two more consecutive points than the other character to win.
The player is able to set the number of games in this event, and can choose either one, three or five. They can also select the number of points required to win each game, with the choice of three, five, seven, eleven or twenty.
- Use the buttons to play this event.
- To serve, first press the A, B or Y Button to toss the ball.
- As the ball falls, press the A, B or Y Button at the right timing to hit it for a serve.
- Press left/right on +Control Pad to move left and right.
- A Button: spin ball right
B Button: hit straight
Y Button: spin ball left
- You can also change the direction of the ball by pressing left or right on +Control Pad.
- If you return the ball by pressing the B Button with the right timing, your return will be a fast smash shot.
- The first player to 5 points wins.
- This number and the number of games can be adjusted in SET RULES.
- Knuckles: Knuckles' fourth mission is to beat the opponent using a smash move five times.
- Blaze: Blaze's first mission is to rally the ball for ten consecutive shots.
- Blaze: Blaze's sixth mission is to beat Daisy.
- Luigi: Luigi's fourth mission is to score five points using spin shots.
- Yoshi: Yoshi's second mission is to win without letting the opponent score three points.
Names in other languages