400m Hurdles (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games for Nintendo DS)
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo DS)|
|Info||Hurdles are evenly positioned on the track and the characters should leap across the hurdles without getting caught to reach the finish line. You won't be penalised for knocking down the hurdles, but it will cost you valuable seconds each time you are caught. Also, be sure to save up your energy for the final sprint.|
|Controls||Charge: Touch and hold the Touch Screen.|
Start: Slide stylus right.
Run: Slide stylus left and right.
Jump: Touch the Touch Screen.
400m Hurdles is an Athletics Event that appears in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. It is set in the National Stadium. The aim of the event is to run the 400m track with hurdles in the fastest time. To unlock this event, the player must place first in the Mercury, Venus, Jupiter and Saturn Circuits. Both the starting world and Olympic records for this event are 46.48 seconds.
The event starts with all of the characters and their lane numbers being introduced, before showing the player in their starting position. When "Ready?" appears onscreen, the player is able to charge up by holding the stylus on the screen, allowing them to perform a faster start is they have built up enough power. The player must then slide to the right to start the event. If the player slides too early, they will commit a foul and the event will be restarted, though if they perform two fouls a Boo will slow them down slightly after the second foul. The player can then slide left and right on the touch screen to run, with the speed being increased by a faster sliding speed, though will only have a limited amount of stamina which is depleted if the player runs too fast for an extended period of time. The player's speed is indicated by a meter in the top left hand corner of the upper screen, and the stamina will begin to deplete if they go over the yellow line near the far right side of the bar. Depleting the character's stamina will cause them to stagger and run slower for a short amount of time to regain stamina. The player will have to jump ten hurdles on the track, nine in the regular running section and the tenth in the final sprint. To jump the hurdle, the player must simply tap the touch screen, and will receive a burst of speed for doing so with good timing, but will knock over the hurdle and slow down if they fail to jump in time or at all. During the final sprint, the player will have no stamina bar so can run as fast as possible without staggering, and is able to lead with their chest if they tap the touch screen when the exclamation mark symbol appears just before the finish.
- Use the stylus to play this event.
- When "READY?" appears, touch and keep in contact with the Touch Screen to build up power.
- When "GO!" appears, slide right to take off!
- Run by sliding left and right on the touch screen.
- Adjust your speed to you don't run out of stamina (the heart icon).
- When you approach a hurdle, touch the Touch Screen to jump.
- If you jump with the right timing, you will sprint after landing!
- As you near the goal, the stamina meter will disappear, and you can give yourself a final burst of speed.
- Daisy: Daisy's first mission is to complete the event without knocking over any hurdles.
- Yoshi: Yoshi's sixth mission is to beat Tails.
- Waluigi: Waluigi's first mission is to win the event with a three second handicap.
- Sonic: Sonic's third mission is to perform the sprint jump seven times.
Names in other languages
|Italian||400m a ostacoli|