|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)|
|Info||Four team members take turns to swim two lengths each. Each player should touch the wall before the next player dives in. The first team to have all four members complete two lengths wins.|
|Controls||Charge power: Press and hold the B Button|
Dive in: Swing Wii Remote down
Swim: Swing Wii Remote and Nunchuk
Refill stamina: Press the B Button
Turn: Swing Wii Remote down
4x100m Relay is an Aquatics Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. The aim of the event is for each swimmer to complete their 100m stretch in the fastest time, with the event taking place in the National Aquatics Center. The starting world record for this event is 3:12.46, while the starting Olympic record is 3:13.17. Espio appears as a referee in this event.
In this event, the player starts by choosing a team of four characters in the order that they will swim in the event. At the start of the event, as the word "Ready" is displayed onscreen, the player can press and hold the B button to charge up power, which will give them a greater speed boost and a faster starting speed the longer the button is held for. The charge level speed is indicated on a meter in the top left of the screen throughout the event. When "Go!" appears, the player must swing the Wii Remote down to start the event. Doing so with good timing will give the player an extra speed boost, however doing it too early will cause the character to stumble and perform a later and slower start. Once the character has entered the pool, the player must swing the Wii Remote and Nunchuk in a specific motion to swim, with each character having a different stroke and motion:
- Crawl (Swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk forwards and backwards alternately): Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Shadow
- Breaststroke (Swinging the Wii Remote towards and away from each other simultaneously): Wario, Bowser, Amy, Dr. Eggman
- Butterfly (Swinging the Wii Remote up and down together): Waluigi, Knuckles, Blaze
- Dog paddle (Swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk up and down alternately): Yoshi, Tails
- Underwater running (Swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk up and down alternately): Sonic
- Crocodile paddle (Swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk left and right simultaneously): Vector
The faster the player swings, the faster the character swims, but swimming at higher speeds will deplete the stamina meter, indicated by a heart. If the meter is fully depleted, the character will tread water at a much lower speed until enough of the meter is refilled to continue swimming again. To avoid this, the player can press the B Button when the stamina meter is low to refill their stamina. The closer the meter is to being empty the meter is when the player presses the B button, the more stamina is refilled and less speed lost. This is also shown by the number of musical note icons that appear above the character's head after the refill, with one blue one indicating poor timing, two green ones representing good timing and three red ones representing the best. When the character reaches the end of the pool, the player can swing the Wii Remote down to gain a small speed boost from turning. When the character reaches the end of their 100m, the player can also swing the Wii Remote down to cause the next character to gain a small speed boost when diving in.
- This event uses the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk.
- This event is a 400 meter swimming race with 4 swimmers per team, 100 meters per swimmer. Winning will depend on swimming speed and touch timing.
- This event uses the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk. While "READY" is displayed, press to build up energy.
- When "GO!" appears, swing the Wii Remote down to dive in. If you swing too early, you'll get a false start.
- Use the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk to swim. Shake them quickly to speed up. The motion differs depending on your character's swimming style.
- Crawl: Forward/backwards alternately.
Breaststroke: Left/right to sides alternately.
Butterfly: Up/down together.
- Dog paddle/Underwater running: Up/down alternately.
Crocodile paddle: Left/right to sides together.
- The faster you swim, the more stamina you'll use. You'll tread water when it's gone, to use to recover. Press just before running out for a big boost.
- To turn, swing the Wii Remote down as you touch the edge of the pool, and you'll turn without losing speed.
- As you touch the edge of the pool, swing the Wii Remote down and the next swimmer will receive a speed boost after jumping in.
- You can also play this event with only the Wii Remote.
Crawl: Swing in a level forwards/backwards motion.
- Butterfly/Dog paddle/Underwater running: Swing up and down.
Breaststroke/Crocodile paddle: Swing side-to-side.
- Luigi: Luigi's second mission is to finish with a time between 3 minutes and 21 seconds and 3 minutes and 25 seconds.
- Peach: Peach's first mission is to finish with a time between 3 minutes and 21 seconds and 3 minutes and 29 seconds.
- Waluigi: Waluigi's fourth mission is to finish in third place.
- Blaze: Blaze's first mission is to place first.
- Vector: Vector's third mission is to place second.
Names in other languages