Archery (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games for Nintendo DS)
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo DS)|
|Info||Shoot four sets of three arrows into a target in the distance, aiming for the bull's eye for the maximum score. The player with the highest total score wins. Watch the wind conditions carefully as they can make you aim less predictable.|
|Controls||Draw: Slide downwards.|
Aim: Slide stylus around the Touch Screen.
Release: Lift stylus.
Archery is an Archery Event that appears in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. It is set on the Olympic Green Archery Field at the Olympic Green in Beijing. The objective of the event is to score as many points as possible over a number of ends.
In this event, the player shoots four ends, each consisting of three arrows. To shoot an arrow, the player must slide downwards on the Touch Screen and keep the stylus in contact with the screen. This will cause the top screen to zoom in towards the target, and a black cursor for the player to aim with to appear. While keeping the stylus on the Touch Screen, the layer must move the cursor to where they wish to aim on the target. There is also a red cursor present which moves around the target face randomly, and if the player releases the stylus when the two cursors overlap each other and turn white, their shot will have a greater accuracy to where they aimed. The arrow is shot when the player releases their arrow, and their score will be given to them once the arrow lands in the target. The player receives ten points for hitting the inner gold, and then one point less for every ring going outwards from there, with a miss giving the player no points. If the player does not release the arrow within 20 seconds of initially drawing it, it will be fired automatically with much less accuracy. The player's shot may also be affected by the wind speed and direction, which may cause the player's arrow to land in a different place to where they aimed. Each end, the wind speed increases slightly, with 0-2mph for the first end, 2-3 for the second, 4-5 for the third and 6-8 on the fourth. The movement of the Super Mushroom, Chain Chomp and Chao hot air balloons in the background is affected by the wind speed and direction as well, and will move around much more at higher speeds. If the player ties with another character for the amount of points, the time it took them to release all of their arrows will be used as the deciding factor on their position in the event.
- Use the stylus to play this event.
- Slide downward on the Touch Screen to draw the bow, and keep in contact until you are ready to release the arrow.
- Slide on the Touch Screen to aim at your target on the top screen.
- Keep wind speed and direction in mind!
- Lift away from the Touch Screen to release the arrow. Release when the black and red cursors line up to increase accuracy.
- In case of a tie in point total, the winner is the person who used the least amount of time to aim.
- Bowser: Bowser's fourth mission is to hit the inner gold three shots in a row.
- Luigi: Luigi's third mission is to hit the black, red and blue rings in consecutive shots.
- Tails: Tails' fourth mission is to hit the inner gold in strong wind.
Mario competing in Archery
Names in other languages
|French||Tir à l'arc|
|Italian||Tiro con l'arco|
|Spanish||Tiro con arco|
- In the event's description in the game's instruction booklet, the center of the target is erroneously referred to as a bull's eye, while the correct term in archery is a gold.